dont know so I'll ask

anyone out there keeping a bull/greyhound,1st 2cd or any percentage useing him for net work,flushing or anything that needs instant response.I read so much stuff here on the breed and wonder has anyone tried to use one for net guarding or anything besides fox eradication.I had a 5/8-3/8 a few years ago and did my upmost to train him to what i needed but after 4 years i passed him on to a mate as i just couldnt live with the stubborn deaf little sh*t.He took fox regularly,he used to flush them out himself.Credit to him he had a fierce nose on him but as i was targeting rabbits he was hunting up and anialating foxes.He tore some of my nets to bits.He spent the next 2 years slaughtering foxes,a few deer and a few other species I might add.I was real happy to hear he got a heart attack later on.the topic i thought might be interesting and id be grateful to hear if anyone trained them to a controlable standard.my mutt could not be curtailed once a target was spotted,i could sit him in the football field near my home and walk around the complete perimiter and he wouldnt budge but if a rabbit got up in front of him he was like an exocet missile.Many a time he'd chase after a rabbit and course him to the end of the field,the rabbit would then escape and hed jump the ditch and see if there was another victim about,he'd then course the next rabbit and before ye knew it he was 2 fields away.When he did catch a rabbit he'd mash the sh*t out of them,jesus he tried my patience,he did.So how many bull X owners out there got a well trained obedient dog.Looking forward to being surprised.I am open to education but really I have to admit I dont expect too many replys of a positive nature.I am not the most effiecent trainer of canines but I once had a 1st cross saluki trained to a decent standard,does that stand for much?Photos would be most appreciative.

well thats not really impressive to me im afraid,i hope someone can show me that they have more talent than i suspect.i dont hold up much hope of being surprised truthfully,i wait and wonder.

well thats not really impressive to me im afraid,i hope someone can show me that they have more talent than i suspect.i dont hold up much hope of being surprised truthfully,i wait and wonder.

well you should be impressed because its far more than you ever achieved,you put a topic up & a bloke answers truthfully without exaderation & your not impressed well f**k you

i have a 3/8 x 5/8, bull grey, x grey. i know this is a little less bull than what yours was, but she is steady as a rock, will pull anything, if it was legal. also works well with ferrets! she will take fox pre ban, & next slip, catch a rabbit, & retriwve alive back to hand!

post-2506-1205653747_thumb.jpg

post-2506-1205653801.jpg

The first bullX I seen really work was a dog called Spike (a 'few' years back now, see best bull x thred), I was interested in these dogs and had the offer of seeing one work. His owner had been asked to shift some stuff of some land. The dog worked 'off slip' from leaving the car in the farm yard. He killed 3 'big dog foxes' that night, i'd never witnessed such jaw power. Coming off the last, i asked my mate what he was like on bunnies, spinning the lamp he ran one, cought it and carried it back as if it was made of glass, that immence jaw power had turned into one of the best 'live to hand' retrieves I had ever seen out of 'ANY' lurcher. Over the years spent with this dog never did I see one poor retrieve.

The black dog I owned (Buck) out of Spikes litter brother Dee was exactly the same, whilst lone lamping he was never 'on slip', going when told, he retrieved as good as his uncle. I kept ferrets and the dog was 100% with them and would mark and cover nets either with terriers or ferrets. My reasons for getting a bull x in the first place was that after the flustrations of owning lurchers out of good fox killing parents that didn't kill foxes, this should, so now I just worked on making him a decent 'lurcher'.

The bitch I had out of Spike was again the same, 'I' prefer bitches and if I was a better dog trainer ,I would say that this bitch would of been able to perform any of the work undertaken by most lurcher crosses (speed aside!), she was steady as a rock.

They are by no means the be-all and end-all, as ASMEX said ' they have their faults' and I agree with Lucky's post totaly but as most bull owners should tell you, they are far from thick and are very trainable.

Cheers :thumbs:

Bosun thats a very decent answer,to me that is impressive,hey pritch if that impresses you then enough said,he doesnt work the dog day time and he retrieves live to hand which is the way I like it to be but he finds it hard to get the rabbit from him.Tell me what ye know about me without swearing and showing yourself up,what stuff have i done.Now dont rant on with crap just list exactly what im into.i am not going to respond to stupid silly comments.this i believe is how the site deteriated in the last few years.Irish Lurcher your some messer :clapper: Lucky I know theres a lot of top lurcher men about that can get the best out of most dogs when time is spent on their training.I have always trained my lurchers to a fairly reliable standard,its real easy when ye get em young.Thats not a bad dog Dai Dog,its good to see a dog with a few strings to their bow.I've seen a few bull crosses and they had courage aplenty and some ammount of brains but i didnt know if anyone out there ever used them for intricate work,hence the question.I wasnt insulting the breed but I wasnt expecting much evidence of them being highly versatile.I was hoping for an interesting topic of conversation,hopefully we still might get it.I look forward to your replys.

ive got a bull cross and like alot of dogs willl chase his prey until he cant run any longer and then some, theres no caling him back when he is after something (unlike my saluki /collie cross) which proves to me he wants what he is chasing and is dead set on getting it although frustrating at times, but always comes back straight away..on the lamp he is great for all quarry, runs off the beam and if succesfull or not he comes right back sometimes live to hand,,this is my first bull cross and im happy with him so far,,but all dogs are indeed different and all take a lot of time and effort..IMHO

cheers

scotty

jigsaw i think youve answered your own question, ive not much experience with bullx,s but they do retrieve live to hand will hunt up and flush fox all day long, have great finding ability, and they dont pull up, i dont think many if any full time rabbiter would want a bull x just for net work there not the tool for the job,

i think so too redrob,i just thought it would be an interesting post to put up.I am not trying to say that they are all just fox deer killing machines,i had a few dogs i put a lot of time and effort into and they still didnt make a high enough standard,now that could be down to my efforts,but once i know the dog is really trying to do his job and please me im satisfied with that.I was really hoping that someone had a real versatile mutt,there are a few on here that seem to be fairly decent dogs,and i expect there are members here that just dont like to boast and dont feel the need to but own good canines capable of most things asked of them.I was expecting a proper reply from pritch,it may come yet.....or it may not...lol