asylum seeker who fiddled £25,000 in benefits

AN asylum seeker who fiddled £25,000 in benefits – while he had £500,000 in the bank – has been ordered to pay back just ONE POUND.

Cheating Massoud Montazery, 29, claimed money to pay his rent, council tax and gas and electricity bills.

Investigators who checked up on him found a luxury BMW car and swish Jaguar X-type parked outside his home.

Vanished

But by the time cops hauled Iranian Montazery into court yesterday under new laws designed to confiscate crooks’ cash, the £500,000 had vanished from his bank.

And with nothing left for the State to seize, Montazery was ordered to pay back a nominal amount of £1 which he claimed was all he could afford.

Now immigration officials have begun proceedings to have him kicked out of Britain. But Matthew Elliott, of the Taxpayers’ Alliance, said last night: “This is a slap in the face for taxpayers who have not only had their money stolen, but also had to pay for a police investigation and a costly court hearing – all for the sake of £1.â€

Montazery came to the UK in 2001 claiming that he faced persecution from political opponents in Iran.

He was twice refused asylum but was allowed to stay after his wife became pregnant.

Fraud investigators began checking up on him after spotting the two expensive cars outside his home.

Then they discovered that he had been working for a baby equipment firm while claiming benefits.

A search revealed Montazery had also splashed out on designer clothes, a fur coat for his wife and an expensive new carpet. When immigration officials later called at his home, he cheekily asked them to remove their shoes so they wouldn’t make the carpet dirty.

Montazery was given a nine-month suspended jail term in January after being convicted of making false statements to obtain benefits.

And yesterday cops hauled him back to Liverpool Crown Court hoping to recover £24,973 through a Proceeds of Crime application. But the court decided Montazery, of Walton, Merseyside, had NO recoverable assets.

Advertisement

Last night a Merseyside Police spokeswoman said: “If further evidence emerges to suggest this individual has recoverable assets the application will be remade. He still owes around £25,000 and this has not altered.â€

It is thought Montazery has exhausted all avenues of appeal over deportation and could be ordered to leave the UK within two months.

What a joke! If I done that I'd be banged up for a stretch, and I'd have to pay back a whole lot more than a pound. Some mates of mine got a £4,000 overpayment of tax credits over a period of a few years. Not only have they stopped paying them, even though they're on the bones of their arses, he's even getting a certain amount stopped from his wages every week. I think his problem is that he's white & he was born in the UK.

yes usualy in these cases where they have claimed benafit whilst working , they have to pay the full amount back, it can be a very small amount each week , but they still make you pay .

its happened to a lad i used to work with :yes:

Guest guevara

He got off because he is not a white and taxpaying.Anyway we could not ask him to pay the full ammount back, heaven forbid we could offened him.

To be honest im offended by the labour Government but i dont treated specially.

Edited by guevara

Welcome to good old britain!!!!i was talking to a bloke today and he asked me if i knew how many mosques there were in my town, i had a quick count and told him i thought there was about 8. once he had stopped laughing he informed me that there was over a thousand, i said B****kS he then told me that if a muslim house has more than four people in it it can be classed as a prayer house AKA a mosque and if it is classed as a mosque it is exempt from COUNCIL TAX !!!!! what a f*****g RIP OFF :censored:

Welcome to good old britain!!!!i was talking to a bloke today and he asked me if i knew how many mosques there were in my town, i had a quick count and told him i thought there was about 8. once he had stopped laughing he informed me that there was over a thousand, i said B****kS he then told me that if a muslim house has more than four people in it it can be classed as a prayer house AKA a mosque and if it is classed as a mosque it is exempt from COUNCIL TAX !!!!! what a f*****g RIP OFF :censored:
is that true ??????????if it is its a f*****g joke

At the end of the day what can the average person in the street do about this???????????????? we all know it's a travesty and we all might say a miscarrage of justice but week in and week out it's still brought to our attention and still nothings done about it ?