rats wont enter cage traps??

there's been a few rats in the old stable for a while now and think its about time i got round to doing something with them. the dog marked on the other day under a pile of junk there. it sat tight while i gave it a kick but as soon as the dog went to another part and it was quiet i saw it scurrying off towards the back and under an old pallet. before when they have been in here the fens have worked a treat and from having just 1 set i ended up having about 5 in a day and the cat had 2, most were greys. I'm looking to have a bit more fun than just getting the fenns down but whenever i set the cages they wont go in?? the corn will be gone from the entrance and around it but they will burrow under the trap so the corn falls down leaving them to take most of the corn without going into the trap. as annoying as it is i cant help but admire them for the amount of brain power they seem to have!!

any ideas what i can try?? the base is lightly covered with soil there not walking on mesh and Ive even covered the sides so it looks like a tunnel straight through but 1 side just meshed but still they are not going in??

tia,

maty.

Edited by maty j

i'm using the same rodenticide, as i'm putting in my bait safes around this 1 farm.

farmer asks can i live trap a few for him.. he has good reason ya see......

trap was 1 of these TRAPS and was in situ for 2 weeks before th first catch, no sand or soil.... just on the bare wooden floor, next to where the workers take there breaks.

in a 6 week period i've taken 9 rats.

Rats are noted for their neophobia or new object reaction.....IE very suspicious of anything new in there environment.

Young immature greys can be caught relatively easily in cages, but the mature adult rats are another matter entirely. I never use cages for rat control nowadays.......preffering anticoagulants.....or cunningly disguised Fenns. ;)

Rolfe.

I have permenant traps and only bait them from time to time. I have had the same problem with rats digging under, find something solid to put it on. I have a permenant trap underneath my bird feeders(a funneled multi trap) and I never bait it and the occational inquizative rat goes in. I have a 17 week old bull x that hunts rats.

there not scared of it just wont go in it. ive tried the nut but but still not interested. guess id get one going in sooner or later but i caught a grey yesterday so the fenn went down after i disposed of it.

cheers lads,

:hmm: an old method of attracting rats stoats weasels mink etc,etc into cage tunnel or in gins

was to place pilchards or sardines into a sealed glass jar and leave to ferment in a sunny

spot once they have started to disintegrate open in a well ventilated area dip a rag into

jar and wipe over trap then secure same rag to hook trigger or treadle have faith it does

work :yes: