FOUND A TOP VET

i have noticed tegan blowing out quite quickly over the last month and recognised the signs for lungworm so i treated her immideately and gave her a bit of a rest she had also knocked her wrist up on a bad tumble she took so a rest was needed all round .... anyway after a bit of a let up i started running her and again she was starting to blow out early ... now the only other thing i could think of was an internal injury after the collision with a tree stump (the same one that damaged her wrist) a diaphgram or rib injury that was causing the problem and i really wanted to get her to a vet that deals with running dogs ......

i had heard a lot of good things about simon gower the vet at swindon greyhound track and a lot of the greyhound lads from wales travell up see him ... so i gave him a ring and took the bitch up there ... when i arrived i only told him about the shortness of breath to start with and his waords to me were .... WERE THING AT A TIME LETS LOOK HER OVER FIRST ...... well he whent through her from her toes to the tip of her tail manipulating and clicking every joint in her body ... when he had finished he said to me this bitch has a strained tendon in her wrist and a small tear in her thigh muscle .. i was impressed but at the same time was calculating the cost of metacam and whatever else he was going to prescribe .... ok he says for the muscle tear in the back leg a couple of weeks on the lead should heal that as for the wrist get in your medicine cupboard get some deep heat or similar cream apply a small amount to the tendon area and manipulate the wrist 10 to 15 times and do this twice daily ... great i thought no money spent so far now here comes the main problem though .....

so he gives the bitch a thorough examination and agrees with my diagnosis of lung worm and tells me she will have to have a repeat treatment of the panacure and a course of anti biotics .... i said i have some anti biotics in the house so he says ok tell me how many you have and i will make the rest up to a weeks worth as for the panacure he says i havnt got any in untill later but you would be better off getting it off the internet its cheaper .... when i asked is it definately lung worm he sais well i am 99% sure and could do a blood test to be 100% sure but i dont want to draw blood from your dog or money from your wallet for no reason ......

the final bill for a full check over and manipulation and diagnosis and treatment and anti biotics came to £25 .... money very well spent in my book .......

edited to add i couldnt remember how many anti biotics i had so he gave me a weeks worth in taht final bill .....

Edited by socks

i have noticed tegan blowing out quite quickly over the last month and recognised the signs for lungworm so i treated her immideately and gave her a bit of a rest she had also knocked her wrist up on a bad tumble she took so a rest was needed all round .... anyway after a bit of a let up i started running her and again she was starting to blow out early ... now the only other thing i could think of was an internal injury after the collision with a tree stump (the same one that damaged her wrist) a diaphgram or rib injury that was causing the problem and i really wanted to get her to a vet that deals with running dogs ......

i had heard a lot of good things about simon gower the vet at swindon greyhound track and a lot of the greyhound lads from wales travell up see him ... so i gave him a ring and took the bitch up there ... when i arrived i only told him about the shortness of breath to start with and his waords to me were .... WERE THING AT A TIME LETS LOOK HER OVER FIRST ...... well he whent through her from her toes to the tip of her tail manipulating and clicking every joint in her body ... when he had finished he said to me this bitch has a strained tendon in her wrist and a small tear in her thigh muscle .. i was impressed but at the same time was calculating the cost of metacam and whatever else he was going to prescribe .... ok he says for the muscle tear in the back leg a couple of weeks on the lead should heal that as for the wrist get in your medicine cupboard get some deep heat or similar cream apply a small amount to the tendon area and manipulate the wrist 10 to 15 times and do this twice daily ... great i thought no money spent so far now here comes the main problem though .....

so he gives the bitch a thorough examination and agrees with my diagnosis of lung worm and tells me she will have to have a repeat treatment of the panacure and a course of anti biotics .... i said i have some anti biotics in the house so he says ok tell me how many you have and i will make the rest up to a weeks worth as for the panacure he says i havnt got any in untill later but you would be better off getting it off the internet its cheaper .... when i asked is it definately lung worm he sais well i am 99% sure and could do a blood test to be 100% sure but i dont want to draw blood from your dog or money from your wallet for no reason ......

the final bill for a full check over and manipulation and diagnosis and treatment and anti biotics came to £25 .... money very well spent in my book .......

edited to add i couldnt remember how many anti biotics i had so he gave me a weeks worth in taht final bill .....

Very good info Socks ,which Swindon is that? there are three ,Im in Kent ,but allways wiiling to travel to see a good running dog vet.

you wont go wrong with simon mate, he diagnosed my whippet dog for a wrist injury a few years ago with an xray and good advice to getting him right again and i think i paid less than 5o quid ... he also has a practice off the track somewhere but like you i visited him at the track to keep the cost down he comes highly recomended cheers and all the best with your dog