few weeks back my terrier had an absest in his stomach that was bleeding which ment he couldnt keep any food or water down for more than 2 mins, loads of pills for him and a few injections and his now ok,but now when i take him out and he starts runing about his gums go white. he is also VERY inactive in the house is this normal for a 6 month pup i thought theyd be hyper 24/7, also the vet doesnt seem to know any thing about the gum problem

just to add the gums are pink 90% of the time, its just when were out.

any ideas???

White gums usually suggest worms, however, it tends to be visible all the time, not just 10% of the time. Inactivity in pups is a concern, especially at 6 months old so i would get him down to the vets ASAP.

Are you feeding him a puppy food? He still needs a high amount of protein, provided by puppy food, until he’s around 18 months old, about 28% or so.

The likelihood of heart problems is highly unlikely. Firstly, your vet routinely checks and listens to the heart of any dog brought in to the vets. My dog was taken for a vaccination and had her heart checked. Secondly, your dog is likely to have collapsed if there really was a major problem with the heart. I'm not saying you dog hasn't a problem relating to his heart, only that there are far less serious illnesses that present the same signs has the ones you have experienced. The most common being anaemia, simply dealt with by a change of diet or a short course of tablets. You really should contact your vet.

Hope this help

Edited by Andrea
i have just taken him off puppy food onto natures diet with some burns complete mixed in with it, what do you mean by a change of diet?

Well all pups need an high intake of protein, if the food you now give your pup provides 25-28% protein, that should be fine, However, your pup has suffered with a stomach bleed and this could have left him lacking iron. If it’s found he is anaemic, he needs food rich in Iron. Your vet can give you more information. A Raw diet is usually high in both Iron and protein.

To rule out more serious ( but unlikely) problems, you should contact your vet for advice.

few weeks back my terrier had an absest in his stomach that was bleeding which ment he couldnt keep any food or water down for more than 2 mins, loads of pills for him and a few injections and his now ok,but now when i take him out and he starts runing about his gums go white. he is also VERY inactive in the house is this normal for a 6 month pup i thought theyd be hyper 24/7, also the vet doesnt seem to know any thing about the gum problem

just to add the gums are pink 90% of the time, its just when were out.

any ideas???

going to email you on this topic mate
The lack of energy and white gums are a blood cell thing, it could be a liver problem.

Yes it could be signs of problem with liver but I would suspect heart problem ,If the dogs is inactive and has pale gums after being out. Does it tire very easily?

Edited by ESS
The lack of energy and white gums are a blood cell thing, it could be a liver problem.

Yes it could be signs of problem with liver but I would suspect heart problem ,If the dogs is inactive and has pale gums after being out. Does it tire very easily?

no he wont tire easy hes never stopped once when im out with him. vets checked his liver, kidneys ect and there all fine. :hmm:

Hi Plummer, I would be interested to know more about the abcess as a general thing.

As to the symptoms you describe, if taken in light of the recent history, the most likely reason would be anaemia due to blood loss from the abcess and the recovery time will depend on ho low the haemaglobin (Hb) is. Did the pup pass dark stools, digested blood gives dark tarry poo, vomit any fluid that looked like coffee grounds or pass any fresh blood in the stools? It's not uncommen for a human to get an ulcer bleeding away in their stomach for some time without them knowing untill they become listless and short of breath on excertion so perhaps would not be missed in a dog untill it's very anaemic. I'd phone the vet and ask what the Hb was and if iron tabs would be an option. If the Hb was normal then are there any above symptoms still occuring so still dropping the Hb, if not then i'd get the dog rechecked.

Ps it can take months to get a low Hb to return to normal levels without a tranfusion so if it is low take it easy on the dog as it's heart & lungs needs to work much harder to supply the body with oxygen, the Hb carries the oxygen, and you don't want to dammage anything.