first rimfire?

Well just to throw in my 5 eggs,I use a Browning 'A' Bolt.I have had it for about 10yrs and it is a fantastic rifle and also pretty good in the looks dept as well 8) .I actually can only think of one drawback with it,and,that was the length of the barrel,which I had cut down by 4".It groups very well before and after,and now handles extremely well :thumbs: .I don't miss many bunnies with it out to about 90-100yds,although I must say that most of my shots are at about the 50-60yd mark(as I guess most peoples would be if the truth be known).I have used a 10/22 ,and,I know that I wouldn't buy one myself,I find the bolt action rifles are more accurate than the semi auto's..................martin. :thumbs:

i've got a ruger and every so often it plays up whether clean or dirty(just like a woman) when there working there excellent, and can rattle off round very quick, shot 3 fox cubs very quick at close range, couldn't of with a bolt action, and with a 50 shot magazine can kill a lot of bunnies quickly without moving a muscle...............but when they play up makes you want to turn it round and pull the trigger, f*** its annoying!!!

There is such a market of aftermarket part you can really do anything to them as and when you get the money

I sold my remington 597 cos it was horrible did group well but just hated it, and very hard to get upgraded

You,ve got a good marlin there then mate, as every one i,ve seen wont shoot subs for toffee.

I forgot the buckmark....daft really, as i must have converted over 50 into long barrelled pistols.Yep, they are an excellent auto, and are so reliable, mainly due to the straight stick mag, though they are a little noisier than most auto,s due to the slide being open on both sides.They are infact, a rifle version of the browning auto .22 pistol, we all used to know and love. Definatly one for a shortlist.

Regarding ruger accuracy, i can make any std ruger hold an inch at 50 yards, it just requires a quick recrown, and they will shoot, some will do better occasionally.

my old man target shoots every tuesday night he has had a marlin bull barrel semi for many years..it cycles on everthing.and iv never seen it jam.....my friend has a custom ruger from yorkshire and its a jem (£650)..i bought a ruger stainless synthetic.had nice trigger..because of my mates ruger....it really was junk...doing pp1 and 2 on the range it would jam.then the heckles would start..i tried everything to sort it,nothing worked i kept it spottlesly clean..chopped it in for my hmr in the end..i think a semi as a hunter rifle isnt a safe option..when i go to take a shot i always look at the back stop before i squeeze the trigger,iv seen a few lads miss with a semi then machine gun the field as the rabbits running off..we wont take lads out anymore if they stack more than 2 rounds in a magazine.......the big magazine in the picture only jammed occasionally...

post-12667-1202951702_thumb.jpg

hi all, i am looking at getting my first rimfire rifle and am thinking about a ruger 10/22 semi. i have permmision which i currentley lamp with my lurcher and do a bi of ferreting . i have been shooting for sometime with an air rifle but want a rimmy for range. any thoughts you might have about the 10/22 or other options would be apprecited. :thumbs:

Go the CZ 452..You can thank us later...You wont regret it

Ah, a butler creek. They were THE hi cap mag at one bit, but they did jam in all guns occasionally, but there was nothing else. Now we have the eagle 30,s which are as good if not better, but most hi cap mags only work well with standard barrels, because they have a sloppier chamber. Put a match grade barrel on, with a match chamber, and they struggle. This is down to the weight of a fully loaded mag, it alters the feed lip angle as it sags. The only working alternative is the tactical innovations 25 rounder, it has adjuster screws built in, to take the slop out.

You do get rugers from time to time, that refuse to work, no matter what, and these take days to sort sometimes, this is what always makes me laugh about folk setting themselves up building "custom" guns, rugers are fine, until you get one like this, then these "experts" are f****d. We,ve been building them at syss since 1998 [i,m the gunsmith there] and know most things about them. ;)

I know what you mean about the machinegunners :toast:

I think the basic answer to this question, is that if anyone is not prepared for the odd jam, or regular strip/cleans, then an auto is not for them, and they will be far happier with a bolt action.

Hi all i have had a 10-22 for 3 years now i shoot at headley park as well as useing it for bunnies

the only time i get any jams is when i dont clean it, saying that i can go down the club and fire

400 rounds through it with no jams at all

when it does jam all it needs is a spray with wd wipe the crap off and any excess wd and shes

ready to go again, i like it for rabbits as your second shot for the next bunnie is just a pull of

the trigger away

i had a sako finfire varmint excelent gun but i found it a bit heavy

does any one have any spec on a CZ 452 s/s varmint?

arcpest

I got a bruno (second hand)now a cz I think got it cut down to the shortest legal limit and re threaded for sound moderater (barrell was well to long for on the quad or landy) and with the tripod on and plinking about can hit a 5p piece at 50-60 yards no jams so far just looked at my ticket and in 2yrs have put over 10,000 through it and never cleaned it yet (I was told you should'nt) :hmm:

Hello Inan. There are a few really.The remington 597 can be made pretty good, but like the ruger , have their faults, and bad ones are real bad, if you get my drift. The walther g22 is a nice gun, but i havent seen a reliable one yet.Most manufacturers have dipped their toe in the water over the years , including anshutz, and also the brazilian guns, marlins etc, none of which were any better than the ubiquitous ruger, and most a damn sight more complicated. Semi autos work better, the simpler they are...thats a fact, thats why the ruger is still top of the auto tree .All are designed to run hi velocity ammo, and all apart from the ruger, are so complicated, as to make subsonic use difficult.

This was our goal with our new reciever, we want to make a very reliable semi, that uses std internals...that works, for a cheaper price than a custom, because there is a huge market for it.

Many thanks for the info,Baldie,as Im short 5 8 and will be shooting from a 4x4 I think the Ruger ,suitably upgraded would do me,plus I seldom take bunny shots out past 50 yds so the drop in accuracy shouldnt be a significant problem,thanks again for the advice.Inan.