first rimfire?

hi all, i am looking at getting my first rimfire rifle and am thinking about a ruger 10/22 semi. i have permmision which i currentley lamp with my lurcher and do a bi of ferreting . i have been shooting for sometime with an air rifle but want a rimmy for range. any thoughts you might have about the 10/22 or other options would be apprecited. :thumbs:

Edited by shagly

hi all, i am looking at getting my first rimfire rifle and am thinking about a ruger 10/22 semi. i have permmision which i currentley lamp with my lurcher and do a bi of ferreting . i have been shooting for sometime with an air rifle but want a rimmy for range. any thoughts you might have about the 10/22 or other options would be apprecited. :thumbs:

i personally think you will be better with a bolt action rifle the semi-autos has a nasty habbit of jamin at the time you need it the most

I'd stick with a good quality bolt action .22LR for a first one as well. The Ruger 10/22 has a lousy trigger and usually gives modest accuracy at best out of the box. To get reliably good accuracy from one you end up spending more than your original purchase price for a new barrel and trigger.

It's a great gun for plinking tin cans on a slow weekend afternoon, but I wouldn't recommend it for serious hunting.

I'd advise you go for a .17hmr instead. My son on his first ticket got the Ruger 10/22 at the same time I got my .17hmr but a week later took it back as he was very disappointed with the accuracy. Off a bipod he was getting a 5 inch spread at 60 yards compared to a 1.5 inch one at 100 yards from the hmr. Luckily the FAO was very understanding and changed his ticket at no extra cost. The CZ452 is a dream.

Do let us know what you decide to do.

for god sake DONT GET A RUGER..there shite..i got a cz 452 22lr as my first rimmy..i target shoot once a week..i really wanted a semi auto.so i bought a ruger 1022..fitted a trigger kit..got it as accurate as my cz, trigger was great...had nothing but trouble with it jamming..mag feed issues..tried standard mags..25 mags, pritty much went through them all..the rifle was kept spottlesly clean and it still jammed.tried various bolt buffers etc etc..couldnt wait to get rid off it......get yourself a cz 452 22lr..spend £15 and put a trigger kit in it and you will love it...brilliant rifles..nothing comes close for value for money and accuracy....

semi's are good i bet if you keep them clean. or you have a couple of uprated parts in them.

if going for a bolt which i would anyway go for the annie 1417 top rifle.

if you dont want to pay that much go for the cz i did and i got the style version. i had brooks trigger kit fitted

which i done myself its easy. and the grouping is as good as any 22lr on the market.

Get a Ruger! Perfectly good rifle. you do get jams from time to time, but actually you do with a bolt gun too.

To get it shooting well, you will need:

Ruger 10/22 Deluxe (no barrel band, good wood, definitely worth the money)

New trigger kit (£100 worth I would think)

OR

Ruger 10/22T, get it screwcut. Decent enough trigger on them because they're the target model. They're not all that heavy and handle well. I am going to get mine cut and put a moderator on it, it will then do bunnies and targets.

Regards HMR, there is a place for both. Personally I would get a 22 magnum and a 22 LR, and keep my Hornet, because the Hornet has a similar range/trajectory to HMR but when it arrives, it really does arrive, by comparison anyway.

People expect miracles from a cheap gun, designed for the US market, to fire hi velocity ammo, then moan when it jams on subsonics. There is no such thing as a free lunch in this world. I can build a ruger 10/22 that will be very reliable indeed, and only jam, when extremely dirty, but it will involve throwing 3/4,s of it away, and replacing the bits with quality custom parts.It will then work properly, and will hold 1/2" groups at 50 yards, with decent ammunition. However, a new std ruger will cost between £200 and £250, dependant on model...A fully tricked out custom will cost you £650.So unless you really must have a semi auto, then go for a cheaper bolt gun, such as the cz.

Just to throw another spanner in the works, we have just finished our new custom made reciever, and the same custom made bolts, with various improvements made over the std ruger parts.This is 100% more reliable, and will operate satisfactorily with standard internals, making a very reliable, but reasonably priced 10/22. These should be available within the next month to 6 weeks.

People expect miracles from a cheap gun, designed for the US market, to fire hi velocity ammo, then moan when it jams on subsonics. There is no such thing as a free lunch in this world. I can build a ruger 10/22 that will be very reliable indeed, and only jam, when extremely dirty, but it will involve throwing 3/4,s of it away, and replacing the bits with quality custom parts.It will then work properly, and will hold 1/2" groups at 50 yards, with decent ammunition. However, a new std ruger will cost between £200 and £250, dependant on model...A fully tricked out custom will cost you £650.So unless you really must have a semi auto, then go for a cheaper bolt gun, such as the cz.

Just to throw another spanner in the works, we have just finished our new custom made reciever, and the same custom made bolts, with various improvements made over the std ruger parts.This is 100% more reliable, and will operate satisfactorily with standard internals, making a very reliable, but reasonably priced 10/22. These should be available within the next month to 6 weeks.

Thinking of applying for my fac,I like the idea of a Ruger for truck work ,nice and short,my mate Magwitch uses an Anshutz b/a that is very accurate.What do you think of the other semis on the market Baldie?Do they need as much customising as the Ruger,and are they around the same price when tricked up?Thanks in advance ,I know you know what you are talking about.Inan.

Hello Inan. There are a few really.The remington 597 can be made pretty good, but like the ruger , have their faults, and bad ones are real bad, if you get my drift. The walther g22 is a nice gun, but i havent seen a reliable one yet.Most manufacturers have dipped their toe in the water over the years , including anshutz, and also the brazilian guns, marlins etc, none of which were any better than the ubiquitous ruger, and most a damn sight more complicated. Semi autos work better, the simpler they are...thats a fact, thats why the ruger is still top of the auto tree .All are designed to run hi velocity ammo, and all apart from the ruger, are so complicated, as to make subsonic use difficult.

This was our goal with our new reciever, we want to make a very reliable semi, that uses std internals...that works, for a cheaper price than a custom, because there is a huge market for it.

Thinking of applying for my fac,I like the idea of a Ruger for truck work ,nice and short,my mate Magwitch uses an Anshutz b/a that is very accurate.What do you think of the other semis on the market Baldie?Do they need as much customising as the Ruger,and are they around the same price when tricked up?Thanks in advance ,I know you know what you are talking about.Inan.

................................................................................

marlin semi auto's are more accurate,dont jam anywhere near as much as a ruger..my dad has used one for years rarely cleans it and week after week it perfoms well.unless you want to spend a fortune on a crappy ruger the marlins are far better....browning buckmarks are a good rifle to.some will argue there a cobled up pistol.i use one as a long barrel pistol and its never jamed on any amo................

You,ve got a good marlin there then mate, as every one i,ve seen wont shoot subs for toffee.

I forgot the buckmark....daft really, as i must have converted over 50 into long barrelled pistols.Yep, they are an excellent auto, and are so reliable, mainly due to the straight stick mag, though they are a little noisier than most auto,s due to the slide being open on both sides.They are infact, a rifle version of the browning auto .22 pistol, we all used to know and love. Definatly one for a shortlist.

Regarding ruger accuracy, i can make any std ruger hold an inch at 50 yards, it just requires a quick recrown, and they will shoot, some will do better occasionally.