10mo Bull X - her first time

Just a few action shots. Have a 4yo Apbt x Stag and his 10mo daughter who we started this week. Showing good promise. Would like for her to take one solo come 12mo 

Takes contact silently. Pushes into the grip. Learning the pointy end and starting to pick angles. 

Shes’s a big dog. Should be handy on pigs and provide strong finish on coyotes. 

Denning season comes to a close in June and the young dogs start to become territorial. Hope to get her on some later this summer. 

Winter just ended - will start dropping weight on the duo and prep them for the upcoming heat  

ABF8E5C7-FFC4-472F-BC4B-6378969AD85A.jpeg

IMG_1252.jpeg

Edited by SavantK9
  • Like 19
  • SavantK9 changed the title to 10mo Bull X - her first time

5 hours ago, SavantK9 said:

Just a few action shots. Have a 4yo Apbt x Stag and his 10mo daughter who we started this week. Showing good promise. Would like for her to take one solo come 12mo 

Takes contact silently. Pushes into the grip. Learning the pointy end and starting to pick angles. 

Denning season comes to a close in June and the young dogs start to become territorial. Hope to get her on some later this summer. 

Winter just ended - will start dropping weight on the duo and prep them for the upcoming heat  

IMG_1252.jpeg

What sort of size are they ? 

On 13/04/2024 at 13:58, SavantK9 said:

IMG_1252.jpeg

Each to their own, but 10-12 months on 'tough quarry' is far too young, for me.

Don't care how physically big and strong a dog or bitch is.  It's more mental maturity, and at that age they are still very much pups.

Edited by shaaark
  • Like 8
1 hour ago, shaaark said:

Don't care how physically big and strong a dog or bitch is.  It's more mental maturity, and at at that age they are still very much pups.

Have to know your stock and make decisions based on what they show you. Got a real good glimpse as to her mindset and intent. 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, shaaark said:

Don't care how physically big and strong a dog or bitch is.  It's more mental maturity, and at at that age they are still very much pups.

Would agree with you there regarding most lurcher crosses but dogs with real pit in them if their bred right will be wired and more than ready at a year to be tried in my experience. Not saying, throw them in the deep end and push them to their limits but definitely be ready for some action.

• Like 4
21 minutes ago, SavantK9 said:

Sire is about 36kg - likely to drop 2-3kg 

Eyeballed - Daughter likely close to the same.  

17 minutes ago, SavantK9 said:

Have to know your stock and make decisions based on what they show you. Got a real good glimpse as to her mindset and intent. 

7 minutes ago, Backandbeyond said:

Would agree with you there regarding most lurcher crosses but dogs with real pit in them if their bred right will be wired and more than ready at a year to be tried in my experience. Not saying, throw them in the deep end and push them to their limits but definitely be ready for some action.

Wouldn't be for me, fellas.  But,  I've been accused, several times, of wrapping my dogs in cotton wool!!  Lol 👍

• Like 1
8 hours ago, SavantK9 said:

IMG_1252.jpeg

Is the daughter the same way bred mate... staghound x apbt? Cheers

For pigs you won't ruin them taking them out young with the older dogs, the mrs used to take 4 month old, heavily bull blooded pups and they'd lug up when the older dogs got hold. I always started ferreting with the whippet types at ten weeks and they learnt quickly, mainly to avoid obstacles before their speed came through.

• Like 3
On 13/04/2024 at 17:28, Backandbeyond said:

Is the daughter the same way bred mate... staghound x apbt? Cheers

Essentially a reverse bull x. Heavy bulldog influence. 

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Franks dad said:

What sort of height do they reach having staghound in them ? 

As with most crosses it really depends on how they’re thrown - with some being more “bull” or “sighthound” forward than others. IME - the phenotypical expression is a pretty good indicator as to how they navigate the world. It’s why I see some more bull forward pups starting “earlier” than some of the more sighthound oriented ones. Just comes down to handler IQ. 

a few pics of the littermates between 9-10mo showing variation in type. I’d say as a whole - this litter should average 27” but wouldn’t be surprised if that fawn male with the black collar at the bottom gets a bit taller. 

FACC7224-EBBD-408E-8997-45FF11D24660.jpeg

F2F942BF-BD60-41F1-968D-0D3FB95678E1.jpeg

IMG_1220.jpeg

IMG_0950.jpeg

IMG_1173.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3