I'm looking at making my own lead ammo. My set up so far is 10mm fishing weight mould (cheap eBay one).

For melting Ive got a cheap propane burner (the one that takes the little bottles).

For the pot can I get away with a aluminium pot with a non stick coating? 

I also will be preheating the mould but I've heard that sooting the mould is recommended to stop the balls sticking in the mould?

I have seen also a video on YouTube of melting lead in a cooking pot and taking it from the bottom from a small hole. I'll probably stick to pouring after skimming off the cross on the top.

Apart from that any other tips?

• 2 weeks later...

Lee mould (9 mm) what I use cuts off nice, I use a hexi stove got loads free and a old stainless serving spoon with the end crimped in to pour works treat for me cast 200 in little time 

Used to have a Lee double mold, found it a pain in the arse to knock up a good quantity. Buy 9.5 leads off eBay now, 18 quid for 350.

I've just knocked up a couple of hundred 9mm lead using a lead melting pot and a Lee mould.  Top tip is to keep fluxing the lead with bees wax to get rid of the crap and keep the spout clean .

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...