hares with mxy

Right lads im no stranger to hunting with dogs, but a mate of mine reckons  he shot a hare that was showing the signs of this disease, thought it was only rabbits that caught it , because hares liveabove ground and are mainly solitary creatures, did hear one time that hares can catch something called forest eye which causes them to go blind not certain though.

49 minutes ago, grompz56 said:

Right lads im no stranger to hunting with dogs, but a mate of mine reckons  he shot a hare that was showing the signs of this disease, thought it was only rabbits that caught it , because hares liveabove ground and are mainly solitary creatures, did hear one time that hares can catch something called forest eye which causes them to go blind not certain though.

Most get over it rapid and its fairly rare

It's a concern in East Anglia and if anyone comes across a hare with myxi or rvhd symptoms there is a study " This project is being run by Dr Diana Bell, a senior lecturer at the University of East Anglia School of Biological Science, Norwich. She is requesting members of the public who find or photograph hares to email her at d.bell@uea.ac.uk ". 

• Like 2

I have caught a few in the past with scabbed up noses and a bare scabby patches under their eyes I was told it was down to them feeding on young rape fields were the crop had been treated with blue agricultural slug pellets. I did seem to get more hare's with this condition when rape was planted on fields a was hunting on.

• Sad 1