21 hours ago, Abullx said:

Anyone else notice any goldies starting to pick up material, I’ve just seen 2 goldfinch picking up dog hair on the side of the rd 

Haven't seen it yet mate but got a feeling they're gunna start early this year. End of feb and my two Goldie cocks are singing their heads off

13 minutes ago, sambo123 said:

Haven't seen it yet mate but got a feeling they're gunna start early this year. End of feb and my two Goldie cocks are singing their heads off

Yh I’ve noticed other birds like crow,pigeon building but was surprised when I seen the 2 goldies yesterday I tried to get a pic but when I parked up they wouldn’t come down. Yh looks that way few mine singing away hopefully you’ll get few nests soon then

10 hours ago, Abullx said:

Yh I’ve noticed other birds like crow,pigeon building but was surprised when I seen the 2 goldies yesterday I tried to get a pic but when I parked up they wouldn’t come down. Yh looks that way few mine singing away hopefully you’ll get few nests soon then

Because the temperature is already picking up even though it's only feb I'm toyin with the idea of increasing the light in the shed early to see if they go down earlier than they naturally would. In my insulated shed the temp is around 15 degrees. Only thing that could knacker it up is if we have a freak cold spell. Never know what the weather is gunna do in the UK do ya.

Sam

11 minutes ago, sambo123 said:

Because the temperature is already picking up even though it's only feb I'm toyin with the idea of increasing the light in the shed early to see if they go down earlier than they naturally would. In my insulated shed the temp is around 15 degrees. Only thing that could knacker it up is if we have a freak cold spell. Never know what the weather is gunna do in the UK do ya.

Sam

Yh I know think I see 0 degrees the weekend/ next week still bit early but if they wanna go I’ll let mine tbh 

21 minutes ago, BEARINATOR said:

Hedge sparrows have started nesting in my garden and the male canary is starting to sing more. Probably be like last year with a warm week or 2 then cold and snow whilst they are starting to fledge 

Yh probably will be 

• Like 1
12 hours ago, BEARINATOR said:

Hedge sparrows have started nesting in my garden and the male canary is starting to sing more. Probably be like last year with a warm week or 2 then cold and snow whilst they are starting to fledge 

Definitely mate. Last year I was watching a bully hen down near local ponds in some dog wood nesting. She had five eggs on. This was around March April time. After a week she was off nest soddened with weather eggs gone. Either weather did it or because not much cover corvids had taken them. 

• Like 1
On 21/02/2024 at 17:47, sambo123 said:

Sam

Years ago when i was about 14, i had a shed near the house where i bred Gloster Canaries, That year the weather was mild like it has been this winter/spring. I let them all go down early. It turned colder and snowed in late March beginning of April, I lost the lot,

On 24/02/2024 at 19:08, paulus said:

Years ago when i was about 14, i had a shed near the house where i bred Gloster Canaries, That year the weather was mild like it has been this winter/spring. I let them all go down early. It turned colder and snowed in late March beginning of April, I lost the lot,

Great bit of advice there mate. 

Thanks

• Like 1
On 24/02/2024 at 19:08, paulus said:

True words you can start early mate.  You cant go on following wild birds way. Due to the fact " That the wild birds are getting cheated over the climate changing we've caused this humanity " The seasons are all over the place now due to us. It's sickening to see what we've caused and still some country's don't give two fucks. Long as there making money f**k the world.  

• Like 1

Yh season are all over the place I’ve just had a canary go down on 5 eggs but didn’t think there was a cock in there I’ve now emptied that aviary and now 50 canary’s to go though to find the cock bird or 2  

1 hour ago, Abullx said:

Yh season are all over the place I’ve just had a canary go down on 5 eggs but didn’t think there was a cock in there I’ve now emptied that aviary and now 50 canary’s to go though to find the cock bird or 2  

Best thing to do just catch them up put one at a time in single cage. Outside on bird room and watch them through kitchen window. If it's a cock bird you'll clock it singing away. Then put that in a flight cage. Keep going till you've got through all the cocks & hens. Weekend pottering around garden and house you'll sort it out. 

36 minutes ago, Bangersanmash said:

Best thing to do just catch them up put one at a time in single cage. Outside on bird room and watch them through kitchen window. If it's a cock bird you'll clock it singing away. Then put that in a flight cage. Keep going till you've got through all the cocks & hens. Weekend pottering around garden and house you'll sort it out. 

Yh i think that’s what I’ll have to do mate. Thanks 

• Like 1