Repairing damaged Long nets

Hello All, After a good operation, Ive got a bit of time on my hands, so Ive made a quick video on how to repair long nets. Ok, people who have repaired them before wont learn anything, but there seems to be less and less people now who can use a net needle. The hardest part is getting good mending twine, so Im using 6Z twisted nylon, which isnt the best for repairing, but getting 6z spun nylon in this country is getting hard work! I hope you learn something, James

Net mending - how to easily repair ferreting long nets and nylon sea fishing nets tutorial (youtube.com)

• Like 2

23 hours ago, beany01 said:

Hello All, After a good operation, Ive got a bit of time on my hands, so Ive made a quick video on how to repair long nets. Ok, people who have repaired them before wont learn anything, but there seems to be less and less people now who can use a net needle. The hardest part is getting good mending twine, so Im using 6Z twisted nylon, which isnt the best for repairing, but getting 6z spun nylon in this country is getting hard work! I hope you learn something, James

Net mending - how to easily repair ferreting long nets and nylon sea fishing nets tutorial (youtube.com)

Good, useful post Brother,. .many thanks for taking time out to educate us๐Ÿ‘

ย 

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 1
7 hours ago, jok said:

Now then my friend. When I was net making I bought everything from Gundry Bridport ltd, And all my nylon was 6z. Worth a look. Jok.

I once was the manager of a factory that made narrow fabrics, we had over 500 braiding machines and about 20 knitting machines, Trying to compete in a global market ended up impossible, Towards the end I could by the finished product that we were making, delivered from the east. for roughly the same price as it would have cost meย buy the raw material in this country, It was a no brainer to close the company and just sell imported stuff, I am sure that AliExpress or temu would be a good place to look for 6oz nylon.ย 

19 hours ago, jok said:

Now then my friend. When I was net making I bought everything from Gundry Bridport ltd, And all my nylon was 6z. Worth a look. Jok.

Thats all changed now mate, I think they have changed to Coastal nets. I have just managed to order some mending twine from Germany, they have exactly what I want, but it wasnt cheap with postage. Only 10 years ago I could nip 5 miles up the road and get it off the shelf!ย 

11 hours ago, paulus said:

I once was the manager of a factory that made narrow fabrics, we had over 500 braiding machines and about 20 knitting machines, Trying to compete in a global market ended up impossible, Towards the end I could by the finished product that we were making, delivered from the east. for roughly the same price as it would have cost meย buy the raw material in this country, It was a no brainer to close the company and just sell imported stuff, I am sure that AliExpress or temu would be a good place to look for 6oz nylon.ย 

Sounds about right. Ive now found a manufacturer of nets and twine in Germany, they have exactly what I want, so I might have to order a few spools to last a few decades hahahaha

48 minutes ago, Luckee legs said:

Another thanks, I've been putting off repairs recently and this is encouraging me to face up to the job ๐Ÿ˜„. Don't forget to add top line and purse line videos ๐Ÿ˜‰

No prob mate, glad it was some help. I do rig my own long nets, thatโ€™s really easy if you know how to set them out. The last net I bought was off Les Nelson, his lint was so much more supple that anything I could buy. It took 4 years for my own rigged lints to start getting soft as his with rain washing the binders etc out of the lint.ย 

• Like 1