My lurcher must have tacken a knock on her back left foot whilst out with her just over three weeks ago. Limping, not putting any weight on it and a bit of swelling, just above the outside toe.

Didnt look any better after a day or two, so paid the vet a visit, not wanting to over-react or anything but when you've only got the one lurcher you want it sorted a.s.a.p.

The vet had a feel around the toes/foot and to my relief said no need to exray........ nothing broken, lead only for five days and some anti-inflamataries.

Wasnt to sure myself, so gave another two weeks of rest ( until swelling had totally gone ), finally let her off lead yesterday, bit of a gallop.......... and guess what.....

LIMPING AGAIN! :wallbash:

Going to find a propper vet i think........ let these stick to the gold fish and hamsters......

not very easy to see from these pics, just a bit of swelling and seems to holding her outside toe out........ any suggestions??

Not the end of the world i know, just want her right as soon as........ :thumbs:

post-9466-1202123735.jpgpost-9466-1202123756.jpg

post-9466-1202123756.jpgpost-9466-1202123786.jpg

post-9466-1202123771.jpg

Good clear pics of the foot :clapper:

From the photo I would say that the foot has taken a bad knock: there may or may not be a hairline crack and even on x ray some of these don't show up from just one x ray: one of my dogs needed 4 x rays from all angles before the crack was picked up.

It could just be bad bruising, or the toe joint has dislocated and then popped back into place: but there will obviously be ligament damage all the same.

If it were my dog I'd give it a month on the lead and massage gently every day with Bone Radiol which encourages healing. Rub the linament in with an old toothbrush using small circular motions.

I've had plenty of dogs with that kind of damage and they've all been OK afterwards: the only thing to remember is that a bone can take 6 weeks to heal properly so if it is a fracture then the dog will need 6 weeks on the lead, just steady walking to keep a little bit fit, and to stop the dog going nuts from boredom, and on smooth ground only, like roads.

Hope this helps.

Guest longslip

dog of mine got the same trouble on front outside toe. been given same advice that skycat suggests by an experienced greyhound lad. bone radiol and light roadwork 6-8 weeks. me just ordered some and waiting for arrival. good luck mate :thumbs:012-1.jpg

Kreet, no mate, still not sure exatly what the injury is........ the vet diddnt have a clue either!

Cheers for that Skycat, if the vet had given me that sort of advice i'd be back out with her in 2 weeks, looks like it could be a bit longer now though.

Fustrating or what........... :angry:

Could end up taking her to see someone that knows what they're talking about..... live and learn eh....

Good advice above would only add that nails look a bit long which might increase the chance of knocked up toes in the first place and also may slow the healing process once they have them as a long nail while cause greater articulation of the inflamed joint.

Just a bit of a follow up, and to show that good advise is appreciated and not falling on deaf ears................. :thumbs:

post-9466-1202666900.jpgpost-9466-1202666887.jpg

Greyhound mega store, £10 inc p+p, 250ml......... fits through letter box!.........nice.

If anyone finds this thred searching with similar probs, they should be sorted sharpish............ hope this helps.........

:signthankspin: