The long road back!

11 minutes ago, shaaark said:

But the chances of him injuring himself again is much more, if you run him in the next couple of months, than if you give him the rest of the season off, then come back even stronger next season.

I know what I'd do.

Im with shark on this one aswel mate. Know its a pain in the arse and probs chomping at the bit to get out but do right by ya dog and it will do right by you. Give it time. Wouldnt be even thinking about the toe off option. Just give it time. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Peter4190 said:

Yer I know what u mean but the other way I am looking at it is if I wait until next season to run him he could go lame again first run then that season will be knackered aswell, where if I give him a run this season then I can have his toe off and he can recover over the summer and be right for next season, I don’t know what to do for the best 

You can run a dog a month after having a toe off so next season wouldn’t be a write off even if you did need to get it removed. It’s your dog & only you can make the decision but there’s no way I’d run that dog this season if it were mine

• Like 2

Its a hard one, But that injury deserves time to heal, if come next season it is still causing an issue then make a decision at that time. Neither decision is going to be perfect, just chose what you think will be best for the dog, No right or wrong answer here mate, 

15 minutes ago, Peter4190 said:

Yer fair enough I’ll probably wait until next season then, would you take him for walks off the lead though ? At the chance he might find something to run ? Can’t keep him to the road and on the lead until next season 

Keep him on lead as long as you think necessary but no you dont need to keep him on lead till next season. That would cause problems in its self. Just be sensible. May only be couple week or so to keep him on lead but should beable to gauge that yourself. You will know. Then just steady away  

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, Peter4190 said:

Yer fair enough I’ll probably wait until next season then, would you take him for walks off the lead though ? At the chance he might find something to run ? Can’t keep him to the road and on the lead until next season 

Just dont use the excuse of him being off the lead to get him up the arse of something

• Like 4