Soft Lure Fishing

43 minutes ago, Borr said:

I'll try them next weekend, I blanked today, well tangled beyond repair, had three tiddlers on the yellow/green crays yesterday. They do seem small for the weight are you using #2 3g on the 40mm? How are you retrieving? I'm trying one turn of reel and drop and also two jigs and reel, had one yesterday where I feel the bottom is snag free I just bounce the tip on a slow retrieve... I maybe should've ordered more 65mm I've only 1 pack in green

I use size 4 with the 40mm and size 2 with the 65mm . I also mainly use the 40mm size unless the waters really coloured and then I’ll step up to the 65’s 
I just straight retrieve them as slow as needed to keep them above the rubbish and weed . I don’t bother jigging them up and down because I’d lose a lure every cast because of the rubbish in the canal round here . 

• Like 2

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Its  a great way to fish ,travel lite and cover aload of ground,my lads all over it,all he bloody talks about lol,hes had perch,jacks,chub and some decent trout on his own , this season.. He Uses

Soft plastics are all I use for perch and pike on the canals with the bfs gear and in particular the 40mm crazyfish nimbles/supercontinent copies . I used to use it on the rivers for trout aswell but

My lad got out today after the waters had  receded on the local brook...sent me this..  

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, neil r said:

I use size 4 with the 40mm and size 2 with the 65mm . I also mainly use the 40mm size unless the waters really coloured and then I’ll step up to the 65’s 
I just straight retrieve them as slow as needed to keep them above the rubbish and weed . I don’t bother jigging them up and down because I’d lose a lure every cast because of the rubbish in the canal round here . 

Yep I meant 4, I'm gonna order some 65s and some cheb types , I'll try straight retrieve, reed roots are the main snag here...

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Borr said:

I've rigged up the colour , I'm using about 18" mono 8lb loop knot on the jig and an albreit knot to the braid...be next weekend for me now .IMG_20240303_160228290.jpg.70cc3debc752205a81517dc2ca9af0d6.jpg

Nothing wrong with that . I normally use about 3-4ft of 0.19 Preston reflo so if I need to retire a jighead on I’m not leaving things too short . I’ve never bothered tying a loop , just a blood knot to the jig . I prefer a 4 turn water knot for braid to mono because it’s a smaller knot that’s easy to tie on the bank but the Albrights a good knot aswell 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, neil r said:

Nothing wrong with that . I normally use about 3-4ft of 0.19 Preston reflo so if I need to retire a jighead on I’m not leaving things too short . I’ve never bothered tying a loop , just a blood knot to the jig . I prefer a 4 turn water knot for braid to mono because it’s a smaller knot that’s easy to tie on the bank but the Albrights a good knot aswell 

Yep the Albright knot is a bugger , I've cocked loads up and that's in the shed lol.

• Like 1

If you are looking for good gear but a much cheaper rate ,try Eliexpress they have a ton of great gear,hard body lures ,soft baits ,jig heads,line ,reels ,rod you name it they got it . 

Edited by toolebox
  • Like 1

I used that coloured and size of soft bait on all the different waterways for the whole season and found, although the colour is both bright and unnatural, I caught fish in all I visited. I think the size and movement is far more important than colour. A lot more action can be added to a soft bait set up  by pointing the rod down and pulling the tip down and back up again in short quick movements of about 5/6 inches, all the while reeling in at a steady retrieve. This has the effect of making the soft bait dance, this has resulted in some cagey fish hooked and then landed.

20200428_165356.jpg

• Like 3

I caught a few yesterday, all on a soft bait & all from the river that winds its self passed at the end of the road I live on. The fishing season for about 75% of waters runs from oct ist until April 30th. The rest of the waterways are open all year around. Sorry to high jack some members post.

20231217_071459.jpg

Edited by toolebox
  • Like 4
2 hours ago, toolebox said:

I caught a few yesterday, all on a soft bait & all from the river that winds its self passed at the end of the road I live on. The fishing season for about 75% of waters runs from oct ist until April 30th. The rest of the waterways are open all year around. Sorry to high jack some members post.

20231217_071459.jpg

You in Oz or NZ mate? And dont be sorry for contributing 😉👍

• 3 weeks later...

Just had a an hour this morning had the usual few jacks and managed my first perch  of the year . Tried uploading a photo but it won’t upload for some reason 

• Like 1

Managed to upload the photo this time , no idea what was stopping it before . Had it and the jacks on my usual pinky/purple morning dawn colour nimble copy . This colour must catch 90% of the pike and perch I catch 

IMG_2033.jpeg

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Just had half an hour on my way home , had 1 Jack about 3lb and this wasp . Think I’ve said on here before that they just disappear over winter round here and don’t start showing again till April and this is my 3rd in 3 trips , not many but it won’t be long till they are back in numbers 

IMG_2053.jpeg

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/04/2024 at 01:45, neil r said:

Just had half an hour on my way home , had 1 Jack about 3lb and this wasp . Think I’ve said on here before that they just disappear over winter round here and don’t start showing again till April and this is my 3rd in 3 trips , not many but it won’t be long till they are back in numbers 

IMG_2053.jpeg

I love to target big perch, they one of my favourite fish .,great to catch and even better to eat

• Sad 1