Collie lurchers

Lurcher x full collie 

Although nothing against 1st x c g or c w I'm just wondering apart from bulpa if any one had an alround type lurcher x full collie dog back in the day I would imagine from the right tackle and if put amongst it they would run from dusk until dawn filling the bag with hares n rabbits n not just once a week?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

Wasn't Andy's dog Don a lurcher x collie ? I may be wrong but I think it may have been sired by his minshayJack and the dam was an Irish collie ?

Tomo seen it work and seemed to rate it.

Cheers.

Yes of course charts don👍

Jack x full collie wasn't he?

I wonder if there's anything still about off that dog I haven't heard from Andy in a long time..

3 minutes ago, dodger said:

Yes of course charts don👍

Jack x full collie wasn't he?

I wonder if there's anything still about off that dog I haven't heard from Andy in a long time..

I last spoke to him two or three years ago at my local Hunt show.

I was going to have a run out with him but didn't get round to it.

I don't know if Don lined any bitches, Tomo might know.

Cheers.

• Like 1

Yes,...I liked Andy's Don dawg....👍

We were fetching my Dusty up to mate with Don, and Andy was kind enough to allow us...

Unfortunately, we kinda messed up with our timing and the bitch was ready to go, sooner rather than later, so we had to act quick..

Luckily, I had a local cur lined up as an emergancy , and we just about caught the bitch in time🙄

Ive no complaints regarding the resulting rabbiting litter, but it would have been nice to have used Don...

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 7
On 23/10/2023 at 22:59, dodger said:

Lurcher x full collie 

Although nothing against 1st x c g or c w I'm just wondering apart from bulpa if any one had an alround type lurcher x full collie dog back in the day I would imagine from the right tackle and if put amongst it they would run from dusk until dawn filling the bag with hares n rabbits n not just once a week?

I've got an elderly one now.  Mum a working collie ,father a stray lurcher. Screenshot_20230309-214706_DuckDuckGo.jpg.42b813ea1a389ad4311fff30b6fb7a6c.jpg

And this one, sadly missed, had a lurcher Dad and a collie Mum. Possibly a few fruit-bat genes as well judging by his ears. He never did grow into them🙂20231024_230114.jpg.8a51487a3fb286af1dfc87e98fa64459.jpg

He was 13 in this picture and those who can count will notice that thanks to an attack by a pack of loose dogs he was a leg short of a full set for the last couple of years of his life.

Still good enough for ferreting though !

I think catching hares would've  been a bit optimistic even when they were both in their prime and could muster a full set of legs.😁 .

Both very calm , intuitive and easy to live with. Apart from their utter suspicion ,nay hatred,  of even being looked-at let alone being fussed by strangers! 

Neither ever made me look daft whether rabbiting ,beating, working as gundogs or having  the occasional "bigger quarry " moment.  Great fun at shows where there were obedience tests, gundog scurries and agility tests too. Actual showing was a big no-no. Not just because neither were great lookers but because the danger to the judge's fingers was too great!

Good steady Screenshot_20230529-115056_Gallery.jpg.5fa4fc0090d60e647610c1fd3e63b8da.jpg all round dogs. Apart from the hare thing . Ideal for the elderly Gentleman who still has a glint in his eye.....😁

Tough too. The old brown dog once brought me back a rabbit and executed a perfect hand over before l noticed he had a four inch bit of broken branch buried in his thigh.

Edited by comanche
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Good post thanks for taking the time 

Grand dogs them and obviously very versatile, regarding the hare thing was that also under the cover of darkness?

Shame about the attack from the pack of dogs by the way sounds bad that does..

9 hours ago, dodger said:

Good post thanks for taking the time 

Grand dogs them and obviously very versatile, regarding the hare thing was that also under the cover of darkness?

Shame about the attack from the pack of dogs by the way sounds bad that does..

No hares in my area.... The  brown one went after one when l was somewhere else but l called him off as it was "possible " we may have been "accidentally straying" and were a bit public. I doubt he'd have caught it anyway unless it stopped to laugh at him.😁

Ironically the dogs that mangled my black and white dog belonged to a guy that was big in the Lurcher obedience world.....

Edited by comanche
  • Like 1

Yes seen Don run many times both on the lamp and ferreting...and he was a useful dog at both...I only saw him do rabbits though..so can't comment on other game...I know Andys lads often took hom for other things

• Like 2