Ferret advice needed

Got a couple of ferrets of a lad . Very poor condition and no weight on them at all. This pics are from a couple of days of being fed up too. I don’t know a whole lot about them if I’m honest with stuff like this but ones got bad fur/hair loss ? Doesn’t seem to be anything else up with it apart from they was starving, they’ve put weight on since as it’s been a bout a week since the photos. My mate sprayed them for mites . What else shall I do ?

IMG_0716.jpeg

IMG_0717.jpeg

• Like 1

A good daily supply of fresh meat/birds..give them a little meal in the morning and another good portion at teatime...make sure they always have fresh water too( handy to have a few drinkers about)clean their shitting area daily with fresh shavings ..and I always check their bedding area because they love to stash food....and if it turns,they get ill eating it,in the summer feed when its dark,remove uneaten food in the morning...keep the flies away😉👍DSC_1277.JPG.99c8463411e2f89241701a79281b796f.JPGDSC_1280.JPG.bcdc743de0282660879f894ace5a4c58.JPG

• Like 8

Keep the wind and draught out of their cages,cover over this time of year.A good meat diet and stick to it,don't keep changing their diet it will scour them.Fresh water should always be available, clean poo away every day,check bedding is dry daily,handle well and things will improve.

• Like 2

A lot of ferrets can look a bit rough this time of the year as their coat changes to winter coat. My mate has a little one that has hardly any fur at the moment did the same last year. I give mine a dash of Salmond oil every day while they are changing coat imo this helps. As other lads have said keep them dry,  warm and well fed and watered and they will be fine in a few weeks.

Cheers Arry

Edited by Arry
  • Like 3

Same as what has already been said, keep them well fed, watered, warm and handled.

IMHO it’s the wet that gets to them more than the cold, try and keep them covered when it’s wet.

A meat diet is best. But if you do go down the dry route, supplement it with plenty of meat and the occasional egg.

I bedded mine in either straw or shredded paper. Just gave them a big pile in the sleep box. If they were too warm they’d kick it out. If dragging shavings in, they needed a bit more bedding.

Sorry for the long reply. This worked for me, others might think it’s a load of shite!

• Like 1

I agree with all that’s been said. Plenty of fresh water, raw meat and the occasional egg, I give mine an egg once a week. Plenty of bedding, shavings and barley straw. I’ve found shredded paper good during the summer months but not as useful in the damper weather. In time their coats will be good as new. I’ve had ferrets do this in the past, some of which have lived to 9 years old. 👍🏻

16 minutes ago, Catapult Henry said:

I agree with all that’s been said. Plenty of fresh water, raw meat and the occasional egg, I give mine an egg once a week. Plenty of bedding, shavings and barley straw. I’ve found shredded paper good during the summer months but not as useful in the damper weather. In time their coats will be good as new. I’ve had ferrets do this in the past, some of which have lived to 9 years old. 👍🏻

You mention barley straw was always told wheat straw. Barley straw is much cleaner these day you don't seem to have those hairs off the ears like you used to. Imo used to cause problems with throat abscesses as we would get a bails off the farm and it still had lots in it. I don't know the proper name of them hairs but I know lads that have had problems with dogs eyes after pigeon shooting over standing barley.

Cheers Arry

4 minutes ago, Arry said:

You mention barley straw was always told wheat straw. Barley straw is much cleaner these day you don't seem to have those hairs off the ears like you used to. Imo used to cause problems with throat abscesses as we would get a bails off the farm and it still had lots in it. I don't know the proper name of them hairs but I know lads that have had problems with dogs eyes after pigeon shooting over standing barley.

Cheers Arry

Awns?

12 minutes ago, Arry said:

Cheers Arry

You are right Arry, I have seen this in the past. I’ve always bought the bags of barley straw from my local pet shop. It’s just the stems and says it’s been dust extracted. I’ve never had a problem with this. 👍🏻

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, Catapult Henry said:

You are right Arry, I have seen this in the past. I’ve always bought the bags of barley straw from my local pet shop. It’s just the stems and says it’s been dust extracted. I’ve never had a problem with this. 👍🏻

I agree mate its a different animal the clean stuff from the pet shops. I also find the half bails from the equine stores are good.

Cheers Arry

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Arry said:

f**k me now you say it. I am getting old Alzheimer's must be kicking in ffs.

Cheers Arry

Don't feel bad took me 10 minutes to think of it Lol, Oat straw if you can get it is good but you rarely see it nowadays.