Spaniel bedding???

It probably sounds a daft question especially from someone who has had dogs for years but what does everyone use for their spaniels? It's the first soft/curly coated dog I've had and there's no way he will leave a blanket or vet bed in there without nobbing about with it.  I'd use shavings or straw for a smooth or wirey coated dog but will it get stuck all over a spaniel? Knowing what he's been like with newspapers in his crate I don't think wax paper would get left alone either 😄

Cheers 

i had a clutch of spaniels .....and know what you are talking about....

i used to works on big earthworks...and years ago we were stabilising an embankment with a thick mesh...it was about 2" thick...spongy...it looked as if it had been made with squirting jets of plastic.....this was pinned to the embankment and hydro-seeded.....

i knabbed a few squre metres of it...and cut it to fit the dog bed...the wet dogs loved it...they would lay under the infa red lamps and the air would circulate around them and underneath....every couple of weeks i would take it out and spray it down with the pressure washer....shake it and put it back....

had it for years.................vets use something similar.....ask them or check and earthworks company to see where they get their supplies from..:good:

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Well I put some shavings in there today and instantly he was picking out the bigger pieces and chewing them up so no doubt he will be shitting like a beaver tomorrow. 

Looks like he will be staying on the rubber matting that's already in there when he's outside. 

• 1 month later...
37 minutes ago, gnipper said:

Straw was a failure too with this little wanker 😆

He's on hessian sacks from work now so we'll see how he gets on tomorrow when I'm at work. 

careful with hessian sacks....if the dog chews them it might make him ill.....some of the older sacking was impregnated with chemicals to put off vermin chewing into them...

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, ditchman said:

careful with hessian sacks....if the dog chews them it might make him ill.....some of the older sacking was impregnated with chemicals to put off vermin chewing into them...

I have no doubt he will chew and hump them all over the place so I hope they have something to put him off. The little shits been humping his bed since 12 weeks and it's not good when the kids are his audience 🤣

2 hours ago, gnipper said:

I have no doubt he will chew and hump them all over the place so I hope they have something to put him off. The little shits been humping his bed since 12 weeks and it's not good when the kids are his audience 🤣

i have had many spanners .....i feel your pain..:laugh:

for a while i used dust extracted wood shavings....dogs loved it and sucked the moisture out of their coats very quickly after working.......Mrs put the end to that as the dogs used to end up in the house now and again.....with the woodshavings....it looked like a feskin timber yard...(anyway thats what she said)

8 hours ago, ditchman said:

i have had many spanners .....i feel your pain..:laugh:

for a while i used dust extracted wood shavings....dogs loved it and sucked the moisture out of their coats very quickly after working.......Mrs put the end to that as the dogs used to end up in the house now and again.....with the woodshavings....it looked like a feskin timber yard...(anyway thats what she said)

This thing was bringing full mouthfuls of shavings into his pen to fling around and chew and play in the bellend.

• 2 weeks later...

Just leave him on the rubber mat. Thoroughly dry the dog off before he goes in. 

Any bedding will just retain moisture and make the dog cold (as well as make a mess). 

Getting the dog dry will ensure they don’t hold the cold and should warm up their sleeping space from their own heat if you ensure their sleeping area is the right size (not a massive shed but an appropriate size sleeping box) and draft free.