Arm wrestling

I know zilch about it but seems to have become very popular.

I watched a guy on YouTube Allen Fisher 59 year old so much power n enduranc especially for that age you'd think that injurys would have surfaced long before now at that caper?

Then you got the opposite side of the spectrum a 20 year old lad check him out so are these guys just born with raw power or what?

Edited by dodger
4 hours ago, dodger said:

Then you got the opposite side of the spectrum a 20 year old lad check him out so are these guys just born with raw power or what?

Yeh, you Alex lad very good. I've watched him from few years now, he got bigger and stronger deff, not saying he beat the top 4-5  men at this sport, but give most a tough time. When I was younger  bloke say mid 30s, I was quite strong for my size  6ft 13 st back then, having done weights, and karate few years. Well one night, I went in a pub  not myLocal,  but  only used couple times. Well there was  lot. People in the bar, trying to beat this bloke  at arm wrestling, put a quid in the box, and have ago. Well like fool and sober lol, I had a go both hands, left hand he blast me, my weak hand, then I went right hand, I nearly had him down, twice, but he was good, he just held firm, then wallop down it went me hand. I had chat later I bought a pint, even though he mad few quid of the other people. He said I was quite strong for me size being tall slim, he was  smaller than me and stocky, strong thick srm/wrists, he said it strength /technique, and it deff is. Gnash should be on soon, he knows fair bit about the sport. ?

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Welsh_red said:

Theirs a guy in America I sent on YouTube Devon larrat (???) Or something that seems to be everywhere online 

Yeh I seen a vid of him aswell some forearms on that fella

1 hour ago, dodger said:

Yeh I seen a vid of him aswell some forearms on that fella

fought thor in a boxing match didn’t he ? 

closest i been to watching arm wrestling was that stallone film 

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/05/2023 at 07:31, dodger said:

I know zilch about it but seems to have become very popular.

I watched a guy on YouTube Allen Fisher 59 year old so much power n enduranc especially for that age you'd think that injurys would have surfaced long before now at that caper?

Well would you believe it....id just about given up trying to get people on here into arm wrestling ?

Yes Alan Fisher is still going he was world lightweight champion at one point.....injuries do become a factor but its a blindin sport.... a very pure sport...beyond an actual fight its just about the closest most personal form of confrontation you could ever have theres just so much going on at the table both mentally and physically......technical ability and knowledge is everything but of course a good dose of strength and fitness doesnt go amiss.

• Like 1
On 18/05/2023 at 07:39, dodger said:

The kid competes at a high level but still hasnt beaten any of the real top guys.....yes he has incredible anatomic strength just by nature but is very limited in his technical ability.....theres positions his joint and tendon strength alone will see him through but the real top pullers will put him in positions he doesnt want to be in and attack the weaknesses and areas that anyone of his young years will have.

• Like 1
On 18/05/2023 at 13:24, Welsh_red said:

Most of the times I've seen people arm wrestling in pubs locally it ends up in arguments and fists . 

To be a really good arm wrestler one of the first things you have to be able to do is get past your own ego....everybody loses occasionally you just cant have a bad attitude in competitive arm wrestling its a really friendly sport where everyone learns from each other and you strive to be the best you can be ive been beaten by smaller chaps than myself and ive beaten bigger chaps than myself its about so much more than strength/power and ego.

All that pulling across pub tables is pathetic and as you say either leads to fights or more often than not injury.....you'll see more broken arms and tendons torn off the bone with physically weak people who dont know what they are doing and get all out of position,than you'll see with experienced pullers on a competition table going all out bone on bone power.

• Like 1
On 18/05/2023 at 23:52, dodger said:

Yeh me to ?

Over the top..

That film is what got most people interested i was actually travelling around America as a young boxer in the 80's and stumbled into what they used to call the Yukon Jack Tournament....the eventual winner of that Over the Top tournament a guy named John Brzenk who went on to be the greatest arm wrestler in history was doing open table pulls with the general public and me and my gym mate walked up to pull him,well low and behold i got a pin on him without really knowing what i was doing....he beat me 5 or 6 times straight after just to make a point ?....but he said some kind words about me and it stuck till years later i started taking it a bit more seriously....i was actually the first gym owner in London and the South East to install competition arm wrestling tables in a public gym.

By the way Alan Fisher who was mentioned above was also in the Over the Top film as it was a legit tournament it wasnt just for the film.....both men still compete to this day both around 60 years old.

Edited by gnasher16
  • Like 3
On 18/05/2023 at 10:08, Welsh_red said:

Theirs a guy in America I sent on YouTube Devon larrat (???) Or something that seems to be everywhere online 

Devon Larratt would be totally unbeatable if he stayed within his own weight division but he keeps going after the giants.....the man has probably done more to promote the sport than anyone alive he's a decent man and a brilliant sportsman.

• Like 4