Hunting with 8mm steel

8 minutes ago, Appo said:

What do yous think about hunting with 8mm steels and for those that do what bands and tapers you using...cheers

20230428_133749.jpg.d51d9888d1974afc58ebb6ce394e004d.jpgtook out mid-flight  just as it was flying out the tree.

• Like 2

I had some come with a second hand EVO i bought off a lad and when practising with them i couldn't seem to get as accurate as i could with the 9.5s and the 11mm though i know a lot rate them it reminds me a bit as young lads we were led to believe you needed a 22 air rifle for hunting and the smaller 177 was only any good for targets which is totally untrue. The bands i had on when shooting the 8mm were .80 GZK.

• Like 3
22 hours ago, tatsblisters said:

I had some come with a second hand EVO i bought off a lad and when practising with them i couldn't seem to get as accurate as i could with the 9.5s and the 11mm though i know a lot rate them it reminds me a bit as young lads we were led to believe you needed a 22 air rifle for hunting and the smaller 177 was only any good for targets which is totally untrue. The bands i had on when shooting the 8mm were .80 GZK.

Opposite for me am more accurate with 8mm and lighter bands, but prefer 9.5s for hunting.  I just think the 8mm may have flatter trajectory and the lighter bands easier to aim more consistently 

• Like 4

8mm are becoming more popular. Read somewhere that. .55 are the best setup. sumeike are very good. I have always used 9.5mm steel. might try a lighter setup when my wrist is hopefully better ?

• Like 1

I can’t see them in flight, so I gave up with then no doubt they will kill stuff if you put them in the right place.

you’d get away with a really light setup too, .55 or .6 bands 20-15 taper.

I just couldn’t get on with them.

• Like 1
On 30/04/2023 at 08:11, Leo Sayer said:

Opposite for me am more accurate with 8mm and lighter bands, but prefer 9.5s for hunting.  I just think the 8mm may have flatter trajectory and the lighter bands easier to aim more consistently 

Im the same tend to just use 9.5s for everything these days. I have tried 8mm to good effect in the past but I'm just more comfortable and confident with my 9.5 setup

• Like 3

Ive used them in the past to good effect especially in the summer. They are great if you can get them going fast enough they'll go straight through a woodpigeon.

think i was on 20/15 .6 

I just feel they deflect too easily on foliage sometimes.

I found if the shot wasn't in the kill zone 100% they where passing through the quarry that fast that the wound was shutting a bit before then bleeding out and such so you where having to take the dog to find them as they where able to go a bit before dropping ? that was the first few months of hunting and that like now I use 8.7mm steels 70%of the time 9.5mm steels or 8.4mm leads the rest of the time ??????????

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

25 meter round about  just it's head poking out behind branch n slammed a 8mm steel just behind its eye....can say was my best shot just sick I didn't record it....retrieved the ball back tho 

Screenshot_20230603-203846_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230603-203954_Gallery.jpg

• Like 3
On 30/04/2023 at 18:16, fred90 said:

sumeike have very good band life ?, way better than gzk in my opinion. 

I got myself a roll of sumeike .55 there a dark pink now not yellow but yeh been using a week or so n seem ok upto now ? 

• 3 weeks later...