• 2 weeks later...
On 17/03/2023 at 12:39, vfr400boy said:

Got a MS271 

Good choice. The MS271 is a nice saw. Did you go for new or secondhand?

I repair/service/sell  a lot of used Stihl chainsaws and find them reliable and easy to work on. Can't go wrong with a Stihl in my opinion. I would say the MS260 was my favorite all round saw and easy to work on. There are so many to choose from but for anyone looking for a smaller saw- Ms181, MS231, MS250 are all good saws.

For any saw, if you are going to leave it unused over the summer etc, I would suggest warming it up, stop, empty tank of fuel, re-start and let it run dry on idol. Stale fuel in the carb can gum it up meaning it will need a strip and clean or even a re-build next year when you come to use it. Alternatively use a fuel stabilizer additive in your fuel.

If you have access to an air line, take off the top cover and give everything a good blow out, especially the air filter.

A bit of basic TLC and it will last you for years and give little trouble.

ATB

Griff

• Like 5
3 hours ago, GruffaloGriff said:

Good choice. The MS271 is a nice saw. Did you go for new or secondhand?

I repair/service/sell  a lot of used Stihl chainsaws and find them reliable and easy to work on. Can't go wrong with a Stihl in my opinion. I would say the MS260 was my favorite all round saw and easy to work on. There are so many to choose from but for anyone looking for a smaller saw- Ms181, MS231, MS250 are all good saws.

For any saw, if you are going to leave it unused over the summer etc, I would suggest warming it up, stop, empty tank of fuel, re-start and let it run dry on idol. Stale fuel in the carb can gum it up meaning it will need a strip and clean or even a re-build next year when you come to use it. Alternatively use a fuel stabilizer additive in your fuel.

If you have access to an air line, take off the top cover and give everything a good blow out, especially the air filter.

A bit of basic TLC and it will last you for years and give little trouble.

ATB

Griff

It's a new one iv never spent so much on something I can't drive or ride ha , my mate works at a farm shop and got me a very good deal on it with his discounts etc , it's £140 for a builders bag of logs around here now so hopefully it will pay for its self quite quickly,  I Was looking at second hand ones but for not much more can get new with a warranty, soon as the land drys up iv some ash with die back to take down for a lady ( will get half of the wood ) so that should keep me going for a bit , 

• Like 1
19 hours ago, vfr400boy said:

It's a new one iv never spent so much on something I can't drive or ride ha , my mate works at a farm shop and got me a very good deal on it with his discounts etc , it's £140 for a builders bag of logs around here now so hopefully it will pay for its self quite quickly,  I Was looking at second hand ones but for not much more can get new with a warranty, soon as the land drys up iv some ash with die back to take down for a lady ( will get half of the wood ) so that should keep me going for a bit , 

Yes with the cost of heating now, a saw is a good investment and soon pays for itself.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
On 30/03/2023 at 14:47, vfr400boy said:

How much volume have a building bag? Firewood are about 50£/m3 dropped in sacks volume.

• 3 weeks later...