I need a new FAC .22

OK, my Falcon FN 19 Skeleton which I bought new in about 2000 is in need of more work.

Its not been the most reliable gun in the world throughout its life, but more problems now.

I'm beginning to think it is time for a new gun, technology has changed a lot in the last 23 years.

Let me be clear, this is a work gun, my Falcon has run between about 19-30ft lb throughout is life as circumstances dictated, it is currently running at 28, which works fine for the work it is generally doing now, that gives me a first zero around 12 yard and a zero of 58 yards with little more than an inch high between.  The incredible thing is, despite the rifles assorted shortcomings, and having a barrel about as flexible as a bass guitar string, it has always been remarkably accurate.   I was doing pigeons at several schools over the half term and knocking them down to 60 yards with no problem at all.   

So, I need a decent shot count, power to potentially 30 ft lb and ACCURACY!

Suggestions appreciated please.

Many thanks.

7 minutes ago, foxdropper said:

Better off on the airgun forum Chris .

I'm trying as many places as I can (that I haven't been banned from:whistling:) to get as much info as possible.

Bonkers really, it was only 6-8months back I got rid of my FAC Theoben, had the 2 then, now I have none, and now I'm stuck!

9 minutes ago, foxdropper said:

I have  a rapid mate .Wouldn’t swap it for owt tbh .

So did I up to about 8 months back, I had the 2 x FAC air but sold the Rapid.  Gone from 2 to none.

Great and well, built but looking for newer technology and lighter than a rapid now.   

My Falcon, with the Skeleton stock, was very light but very accurate, nothing like the build quality of the Rapid, but was my go to, so the Rapid went!

Edited by Deker
  • Like 1
4 minutes ago, foxdropper said:

You’ll be wanting a 50 cal lookalike 177 fx then mate .All singing all dancing 2G money pit that won’t kill nothing my rapid won’t .Fools and their money eh ???

Well, that could be an issue, so many of the new air rifles have that military look.   

I don't need, or want that at all, but I do need accuracy and reliability, but I certainly don't want to break the bank.   

I'm thinking, that maybe it was a mistake to sell my Rapid, even though it was built like a tank (and weighed about as much as well)!

Edited by Deker
2 minutes ago, foxdropper said:

They must do skeleton stocks for rapids by now mate .

Perhaps they do, can't say I've ever seen one, but my Rapid is gone.

It was a good old friend (actually, not as old as my Falcon) but its time to move on...for me!

I love my rapid but I’ve got to say my fac impact .22 is a brilliant tool. I’m not into “military” look rifles, I bought it purely for its performance and it doesn’t disappoint in that respect. Expensive yes, but so versatile and accurate with both pellets and slugs. Also, the shot count is astounding even at 40ft lbs plus. Being able to turn the power up and down in seconds is also a huge bonus for versatility, the modern technology in them shows itself. As for longevity, only time will tell I suppose?

To be honest FX now has the lion's share of fac air rifles in this country mainly because most of their production is making guns at full power for use in USA and SA along with other parts of the world that do not have our silly sub 12 rules. I have had the Impact .25 fac at 50fpe but now own a Wildcat .22 fac running at 35fpe.  The bottle version and other bottle guns in the range will give you a decent shots per fill ratio compared to my cylinder version which gives me around 50 - 60 shots per fill whereas my old Impact gave 90 shots per fill.  The Crown .22fac my pal has which seems to be a cracking gun but not sure what the shots per fill is. 

Phil

2 hours ago, villaman said:

FX I would have any other make at the moment FAC . Wildcat mk3 sniper version bottle will give you easy 100 shots . Crown 500 mm barrel well over 100 shots as well same with the impact . 

Do you mean you would NOT have any other make Mitch. ?

FX seems to be getting some support, assorted varieties!

I have to say I'm a bit nervous just the same, at the moment I can't find anyone (South of Leicester) to fix my pretty basic Falcon, so if anything goes wrong with a FX what then??