First outing with the Senopex A7

A couple of weeks ago I decided to try a thermal scope and so I bought a Senopex A7. For one reason or another I haven’t been able to zero this scope but yesterday afternoon I had the chance to. I used a hand warmer as a target. Now I will say that I am used to a Drone pro x10 so I compare everything to that. My first impression when I looked through the scope and found the handwarmer was “I don’t like that “. Even after playing about with the focus the target edges weren’t defined but there may be other settings in the menu that help with that. I am not quite up to speed with this scope yet and I have a lot more playing about to do. Anyway I eventually got it zeroed at 210yds on a.204. Last night was the first one for quite a while that didn’t rain so I thought I would go and see what I could do with the set up. I knew there was foxes about at a place not too far away so I went there. I also took the 243 with the drone on just in case. We had only just got to the first place and set up when my mate said what is that on the second hedge. I had a look and saw a fox mooching along the hedge. After switching on the scope I found it quickly. I pressed the pip button and followed it for a few yards until it stopped. I placed the reticule on its engine room and touched off the shot. I saw it drop on the spot. After calling for another half an hour we decided to move on and so went to collect the fox. It turned out to be a 16lb dog and had been at 217yds. The next place wasn’t far and we were set up 10 minutes after leaving the first place. Vixen in heat was the call of choice but after 20 minutes I changed it to fox rally. Five minutes later a fox came up the field from left to right about 140yds out. The scope was already switched on as I had been experimenting with the settings. I pushed the pip button and found the fox, it had stopped and was looking our way. I took the shot quickly before it ran off and again down it went. The rain started yet again so we thought we would call it a night. The fox had been another dog and weighed 14lb. The A7 had done the job no problem. Do I prefer it to the Drone, no, but it is like comparing apples and pears. It will take some time to get to know this scope properly but I think it will have a place in certain circumstances. Those nights when the mist rolls in being one such instance. 

47CFC42F-DB77-43E1-BA20-A9D28ECC5FE7.jpeg

85B11FE9-74DC-4F92-A777-9C014E97A7BF.png

C139D730-F47C-421D-B281-E48F06EB64E7.jpeg

• Like 5

I read that all by myself ?

I’ve used a few thermal scopes, pulsar, HIK and ATN, never looked through the senopex, by far the best was the HIK Stellar pro, funnily enough the worst one was the entry level HIK Stellar, it won’t be long before the NV scopes are out with the thermal overlay, more stuff I can’t afford ☹️

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Stavross said:

I read that all by myself ?

I’ve used a few thermal scopes, pulsar, HIK and ATN, never looked through the senopex, by far the best was the HIK Stellar pro, funnily enough the worst one was the entry level HIK Stellar, it won’t be long before the NV scopes are out with the thermal overlay, more stuff I can’t afford ☹️

Affordable n/v will always be available. The manufacturers know the market and will continue to cater for everyone, after all it’s in their interest .

A good write up Ian , I am tempted to get a thermal scope , but I am very happy with my Wraith , which is a step up from my old pulsar N970lrf . The one thing I like about Thermal scopes is that sometimes at range it can take time to find your target, particularly if it’s moving away and you haven’t got eye shine , with thermal it’s a lot quicker. I will definitely be getting one in the near future . I have used a pulsar Xp50 and it was awesome. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, shovel leaner said:

A good write up Ian , I am tempted to get a thermal scope , but I am very happy with my Wraith , which is a step up from my old pulsar N970lrf . The one thing I like about Thermal scopes is that sometimes at range it can take time to find your target, particularly if it’s moving away and you haven’t got eye shine , with thermal it’s a lot quicker. I will definitely be getting one in the near future . I have used a pulsar Xp50 and it was awesome. 

I’ve played with them all, my mate gets hold of all sorts of stuff… the best product pulsar make is the pro spotter but the pro scope isn’t as good, don’t know why but it’s not!

The top end hik's are good but senopex trump the lot..

• Like 2

There’s a race to use the latest tech that’s only going to be in our favour soon .The military have developed a round that tracks the target so thermal is now old hat .We should see top end kit at very good prices when the rest catch up and pulsar finally decides to stop targeting the gullible shooter by bringing out models when the previous is still a hot  topic .Pulsar uses tech that’s just and just current without exhausting the market for the next big thing .The companies new to the market have to use the latest to be relevant .

15 hours ago, foxdropper said:

There’s a race to use the latest tech that’s only going to be in our favour soon .The military have developed a round that tracks the target so thermal is now old hat .We should see top end kit at very good prices when the rest catch up and pulsar finally decides to stop targeting the gullible shooter by bringing out models when the previous is still a hot  topic .Pulsar uses tech that’s just and just current without exhausting the market for the next big thing .The companies new to the market have to use the latest to be relevant .

The problem with pulsar and a lot of other manufacturers is they aren’t making products for the uk market. Our market here is too small for those manufacturers to be overly concerned about what we need. We require a fairly high base mag because we are shooting at small targets and at extended ranges. Pulsar et al are manufacturing scopes with a low base mag to cater for the pig shooting market, which is no use to us. Senopex seem to have cottoned on to that and produced the A7 which is ideal for our foxing requirements. We got lucky with the Drone pro in as much as it was never intended for our foxing needs but rather a military use that just happened to be ideal for us.