Ballistic turrets

12 minutes ago, foxdropper said:

Anybody care to explain how they work .Just bought a Swarovski z6 for the new 30-96 and realised  it’s the all singing but version .

Thanks in advance .

Could write an essay but easier to post this

Turrets are way but hard at the same time lol. Basically goes like this on the simplest deal.

Instead of using like a coin or something to adjust the reticle, when you sight in your gun you just move the turrets.

Now you say ballistic turrets so idk if if one of these scopes that claim to be "caliber specific. I honestly hate those. Say their calibered for a certain caliber and ceran grain bullet so all you need to do is zero at this distance and move your turret to to this or that and you'll hit ??? bullshit half the time. Good for banging steel but past that...

ANYHOW

Regular turrets.

When it's zeroed ,most if not all scopes with turrwts,have way to "slip your scales" basically all this is is you loosing the out side of the turret so you can move it but not affect the zero . This allows you to set your turrets back to a zero mark.

Usually you have a screw or three on the turrets. When their engaged and tight they contact the little post that actually moves the reticle. When you slip the scales you just loosen it so you can move the turrets but not move the reticle.

So say you zero and your top turret is on 6 and your left turret is on 9.  You slip your scales and your scope remains zeroed your turrets just get moved to 0.   

Now there's two main ways you can get info to use your turret. One you can just go out shoot targets at know ranges and make an adjustment. So say you zero @100yd put a target out to say 275yd.  You shoot it and you see your low 3" now your could do the math ( so many clicks on that scope = 3")  and on most scope if you have say a 1/4" MOA @100yd adjustment you'll have your 0 mark then four little hashes then 1 four little hashes then a 2 ect. Probably look like this. Each one of those little hashes is 1/4"@100 and each full number means 1"  ( or 1 MOA or 1Mil or 1 MRAD )@100yd.   

^

The little ^ being the mark next to your turret that shows that's the index point. 

So anyway either you do the math or just dail the turret till you bullseye right. You look at your turret and whatever it's at that's your dope for that distance. Just write it down. So again say your @257yd group 3" low adjust your scope till your hitting and you see your turret looks like this.

^

you moved from 0 to 3 . You now know @ 275 you need to dail to 3.  You can just hit this down in a note book memorize it. Or heck put it on a dope sheet that goes in your scope cap. Anyway once your zerod at 100yd you can just do this from where you think the closest thing you'd shoot  to the farthest and just not down all your come ups/ downs.

so yeah your out walking around fox pops out @400 you know that's a 7 on your come up, spin your turret hold center and plug him.  Spin your turret backwards to 0 and your zeroed back @100yd or whatever.

now that's the down and dirty way that takes a lot of ammo but honestly a lot of the guys prefer to do. However you can just download something like Strelok and plug in your info and it will give you a  pretty close deal. Honestly though to get them working as well as possible you need a Chrono

but as you see I plug in my data and 

Screenshot_20221222-015831-111.png.9e0bf4159c23748a5e2630111548e2df.pngScreenshot_20221222-015846-514.png.2733c2acf95b2602014716f60f7e1306.pngScreenshot_20221222-020001-753.png.2662724bb79cf0a6a82012c3ffda027f.pngScreenshot_20221222-020042-405.png.53d32ee574da6372214aab25727a99d3.pngScreenshot_20221222-020018-138.png.085851c2d558378cd7bdfeade6ceb6e6.png

So say I'm at zero and I need to make a 110 yd shot. Dope card says 7.39 MOA . Each full number in my scope is 1MOA each hash is 1/4 MOA so I daily to like 7 and a two tick marks .

^

I probably completely over complicated that but hope it helps.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
1 minute ago, BenBhoy said:

Good explanation, but your ?? crows must sit still longer than ours!! 

Lol at least in my area ? no one really messes with them so as long as you stay out side of 100yd of them they don't really care what you do till you shoot

• Like 1
2 hours ago, foxdropper said:
WWW.UTTINGS.CO.UK

The Swarovski Z6i MK2 2.5-15x56 IR BT Riflescope is specifically designed to give excellent light-gathering qualities when light conditions are poor. The 6x zoom...

Nice scope fd.. save your money on the StrelokPro, just had a look and yours is not listed in presets?

you’ll have to go all 260rips and buy a kestrel but that’s a shitload more money and you need a phd to figure out how to use the fcukers?