Saw some hogs tonight

Hit up two properties tonight,one was a kill everything on site deal for a buddy ( only saw deer got tore up by the mosquitoes while stalking in) and my parents place where its more of only shoot the biggest most mature (boars preferred)type of deal. Honestly dad is basically farming them at this point lol. Was able to stalk up on this sounder but man the place was so over grown I couldn't get a clear view of all of them. Just outta irritation I started giving some hand squeaks like you do for fox and this one came charging out. Wasn't planning on taking any shots until I saw the whole sounder but they way she was coming I figured I'd have to give her a chest massage with one or two 123gainers lol. Anyway, happy she stopped and walked off because sounded like two monsters where going at it another 100yd or so back off in the real thick stuff. So guess it's time to get the feeders and cams out

Screenshot_20220911-015427_1.png.bab44d46477e40848a0f53baff6abc44.pngScreenshot_20220911-015414_1.png.8219945f13988c300b73416aacbf38e5.png

Will say though I think she was the lead or one of the lead sows because she started doing some low deep grunts and all the small ones( the few I could see) around her too off.......then I started hearing similar grunt and nosies to my left and right.... Soo yeah was a bit too thick to be playing hide and go seek with scattered hogs once I took a shot lolIMG_20220911_004243007.jpg.ff1cce85cfd6b88051e9e67c4db1bea6.jpg

• Like 6

11 hours ago, The one said:

Noticed most americains dont use silencers on there rifles  apart from noise reduction we even use them on smaller rifles for health reasons / any reason why they dont use them ?

Their just a pain to get really is the main reason.  Supressors are an NFA item  and require a $200 tax stamp paper work and usually a six month wait before you even allowed to buy your supressor and that can be anywhere from $300-$2000. Not to mention if it's an older rifle you gotta go get it threaded . O and did I mention you can get rejected and keep your $200.

You can do a form 1 where you build your own from say a solvent trap or a parts kit but it's still that $200 tax stamp and like a 6 week wait .

it's just a pain when in most states you can buy your class one fire arms and have them home same day after your background check clears. O and not to mention it's just plain illegal to own or use them for hunting in some states or counties.

I can guarantee you that if it wasn't for all this red tape almost eveyone with a AR-15 or other gun that was easily suppressed would be running a supressor. But I'm sorry I'm not about to basically drop an extra $800 for all the paperwork and the supressor for a $250 Ruger 10/22 when I can just slip on my ear pro. 

• Like 3
17 hours ago, Stavross said:

That set up couldn’t look any more American ?? if you tried, I like it a lot, but somehow I think it would feel a bit wrong using it over here, Jesus, we still put a shirt and tie on to shoot pheasants ??

O this ? Lol yeah my little rig isn't anything at all compared to some guys over here. The guys who are really serious wouldn't even spit in the direction of my set up. Lot of those guys are running bump helmets with PVS-14 3rd gen night vision monoculars at the very least , many of these have that or dual tube set up where one is a thermal scanner the other is NV . That's any where from $2500 -$8000 easy Their their guns might be running $1500 by them selves for a stock upper tier AR15 , then alot of these guys will have a $800-$2000 Pek 15 it laser/illuminator coming off the side , gemtek supressor that's another $1200 , no to mean their tripods ,blacked dmout side by sides or trucks their actual Thermal or 3rd gen NV scopes  ( most make mine looked like a crappy old black and white TV) .....yeah  mine isn't much of anything ??  but then again alot of those dude eat breath and sleep hog control and there doing stuff like this for farmers day in and day out so they cant afford anything but the best , at that point it's not hunting really it's full on eradication and they don't want anything that would make it even closer to "fair " or "sporting" especially when there farmers loosening $5000-12000 a night . When I say these guy somones are set up as good as or better then friends I have in Special Forces ( some of them actually do this on leave lol ) I'm not joking.

5674fb8d-47a6-424e-b7c8-610eb3767926.jpg.740cbf8482bd70633dbe538e0138cdc9.jpg

You know ive actually been meaning to ask ,what's with that ? Like I haven't because I seem to get alot of folks pissy when I ask such things. People seem to think I'm just trying to take cheap shots at y'all . Anyhow I digress. 

So yeah whats with y'all and the suits while hunting? I figured it's most of a traditional thing at this point

Edited by Wolfdog91
  • Like 3

It is all just tradition, I’ve been on some shoots that had a proper dress code, even for the beaters, a few years ago I was on a grouse moor and a lad turned up in a camo suit and he was sent home to change, it’s a nice thing to respect the traditions, one of the members of my shoot syndicate used to do guided deer stalking in Scotland and he said that was done in full tweeds and the extraction off the hill was always done on horse back, that’s moved on now the Scottish government just want everything dead so they can wreck the highlands, hopefully while we are still allowed to shoot winged game these traditions will carry on ?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for sharing Wolfdog . I enjoy reading your posts and I also watch your YouTube stuff . I learn a lot from American hunters. I use American bullets but Finnish rifles . American camo clothing, but French wellies and German boots ( I wasn’t impressed with American boots in the Bass pro shop)  . Japanese or Belgian shotguns . Portuguese binoculars and German scopes . 
            As a British hunter we have to have our eyes to the rest of the world to source the best kit , and learn new techniques and tactics . I watch , filter out what might work here , like the tripods for example . Keep up the posts . 

• Thanks 1
10 hours ago, shovel leaner said:

Thanks for sharing Wolfdog . I enjoy reading your posts and I also watch your YouTube stuff . I learn a lot from American hunters. I use American bullets but Finnish rifles . American camo clothing, but French wellies and German boots ( I wasn’t impressed with American boots in the Bass pro shop)  . Japanese or Belgian shotguns . Portuguese binoculars and German scopes . 
            As a British hunter we have to have our eyes to the rest of the world to source the best kit , and learn new techniques and tactics . I watch , filter out what might work here , like the tripods for example . Keep up the posts . 

Can't tell you how much it mean to me that you enjoy my little ramblings lol ! Seriously, really glad you enjoy.

• Like 4
15 hours ago, BenBhoy said:

@Wolfdog91 same goes for semi & pumps, at very least you'd be frowned upon on game shoot, most likely asked to leave or offered to use someone else's gun.

I’ve never been on a game shoot where you are allowed to use a semi auto, we have one lad in ours that we used to let use a semi, because that’s all he had at the time and he’s a good lad, proper old poacher, but he was only allowed to put 2 in it

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Stavross said:

I’ve never been on a game shoot where you are allowed to use a semi auto, we have one lad in ours that we used to let use a semi, because that’s all he had at the time and he’s a good lad, proper old poacher, but he was only allowed to put 2 in it

Semi autos are a bit of a no no on game shoots . First - not traditional, second , safety, or being seen to be safe and those around you feeling uncomfortable. It’s nice when you are stood around waiting for birds to appear to be relaxed and have the gun broken and others to see you are safe . Also they spit cartridges everywhere and if you are in stood near bushes or bracken or heather , they are lost until Foxhunter or a Womble turns up . ?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
41 minutes ago, Stavross said:

I was part of a syndicate for 2 seasons & similar there was one bloke there who had a semi. Captain always trying to persuade him to change but he refused. And he probably contributed half the season bag on his own! It wasn't a synthetic type though, was a very smart walnut browning, proper engraving etc.