The Unintended Keeper ( Diary of a keeping blagger )

• Replies 775
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well that’s it for another season  last Saturday was game shooting at its best, lovely clear day, freezing cold and just syndicate members shooting ( and my mate Mosh, but he’s with me, so that’s

Well thank you SL. I have just completed my suspension and read the above posts.  Going forward I will not make any more negative comments and hopefully get this section back to the way it u

So. I’ve decided to start a new thread for the 22/23 season up at the shoot now as you know I’ve been involved with my shoot for a long time ( 15 years or so ) my intention when I joined was to s

Posted Images

1 hour ago, foxdropper said:

Local shoot here has told the beaters there will be no shooting after Xmas so beaters shoot is 23rd Dec.It’s the bird flu shite thing .

Nobody wants the shot birds and guns saying they arnt shooting them if no outlet .Sad state of affairs .

Look on the bright side , should be a good beaters day ?

There’s some right stuck up Fannies go there mate .You’d love them .The type that wash the dogs paws before it gets in the truck ffs .Wont do cover ,won’t brace birds ,won’t do sewelling ,won’t stay in line unless beat with a bat nor help put stuff away end of day .If I was the keeper I’d piss them off that much they jacked but he inherited them from last chap who really couldn’t give a rats arse if the day went well or not .Spent most of his time either watching guns or on his phone .I went there for a day while back and he was stood with the guns barking orders to the beaters in the wood ffs .Nob of the highest order .

He looked like a Dingle so maybe one of Stavs relations ????

• Haha 3
5 hours ago, foxdropper said:

There’s some right stuck up Fannies go there mate .You’d love them .The type that wash the dogs paws before it gets in the truck ffs .Wont do cover ,won’t brace birds ,won’t do sewelling ,won’t stay in line unless beat with a bat nor help put stuff away end of day .If I was the keeper I’d piss them off that much they jacked but he inherited them from last chap who really couldn’t give a rats arse if the day went well or not .Spent most of his time either watching guns or on his phone .I went there for a day while back and he was stood with the guns barking orders to the beaters in the wood ffs .Nob of the highest order .

He looked like a Dingle so maybe one of Stavs relations ????

I like the sound of him, sounds like my kind of nobhead ?

• Haha 2

It seems like an age since I was last out doing what I like, what with work, the flying chickens, the weather and a small problem at home, so late afternoon today I thought I’d have a look for a roe doe up at my mates farm. Well that wasn’t to be, I did see 2 bucks and one was an absolute cracker, where were they when they were in season ? anyway I decided to hang around as I’d taken the caller with me, so getting to my favourite spot facing the wood I set the caller out about 70 yards to my left as it was quite light and not a breath of wind, 10 minutes in with the caller on vixen in heat and a fox came screaming across the field, I stopped it about 15 yards from the caller and sent it one of my 90gn SP’s deer rounds, I seen the round strike the ground behind the fox and it ran 30ish yards before piling up, giving it another half hour I didn’t see anything else so I went to collect my prize, a small vixen, good shot placement, maybe a little high but with a lung hanging out the exit it wasn’t going far ? after speaking to my mate when I was leaving he said the hunt had apparently seen 5 last time they were out, so it might be worth a bit more time up there 

8F9C2F3E-90CD-4491-97C9-209343FBC652.jpeg

E53ED09A-30BF-4332-AF0D-1C2D5439F4ED.jpeg

• Like 6

Sick of all this rain , forecast for the next 2 weeks as well ?

My mate was nearly killed the other day when feeding up. He was on the quad pulling a trailer and went through a Ford which was running harder than normal with all the rain when it flipped him over the edge into a raging torrent .

He was under water with the quad on top of him , somehow the water lifted it a bit and he escaped before being washed downstream a few hundred yards, going through a long culvert and eventually saving himself.

He sent me a video of the river which was in full flow , scary stuff .

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3
3 hours ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Sick of all this rain , forecast for the next 2 weeks as well ?

My mate was nearly killed the other day when feeding up. He was on the quad pulling a trailer and went through a Ford which was running harder than normal with all the rain when it flipped him over the edge into a raging torrent .

He was under water with the quad on top of him , somehow the water lifted it a bit and he escaped before being washed downstream a few hundred yards, going through a long culvert and eventually saving himself.

He sent me a video of the river which was in full flow , scary stuff .

Looks like there’s a break in the weather tomorrow afternoon, so I’ll be out ? until then we’ve got the snooker on the idiot box

your mate was very lucky, it’s a dangerous game, not just the keepering but how many times have you been out on your own and nobody knows where you are, my missus always says “ mind what you are doing “ when I go out and I always say “ don’t worry, I’m the most dangerous thing out there “ but you can never be 100% what could happen when you are out ?

Feeding this morning and I’d left them a day longer than I normally would, to try and make them go looking for feed, I’ve cut right back feeding around the pens and they are getting off roost and going looking for food, for some reason today by half 10 they seemed to want to be on the back field at the farm and along the tip drive, which isn’t a problem as the tip drive is always a good one to start the day off, I could just do with pulling a few of them out the other side and into the piggeries drives. Second day next Saturday and I’m left with a bit of a quandary ? do I let them shoot the sh*t out of it with the possibility of bird flu or do we have smaller days and try to conserve birds to see the season out, I might go steady until the Christmas shoot and then let them go nuts

AFD505EA-FEB5-424A-94E5-4EC9736453C1.jpeg

8AFB4EA4-1B4D-43FF-A0C7-C63CBB7EB2B0.jpeg

41B3A944-3DD6-4565-BB16-FD592D1ED7FC.jpeg

• Like 4
47 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Get them shot mate , that's what they are there for ?

You cant shoot them all anyway so get into them.

Come the end of the season there will be birds all over the place and you will wish you had shot them ?

It’s all about managing your stock in a normal season, I would normally do a mix of drives aiming for between 40/50 but with the way things are at the minute I could easily do them a 100+ bird day but then people start to moan when the next couple are 30 bird days, once over they would of been over the moon with a 30 bird day,I guess I’m a victim of my own success ?

2 hours ago, Stavross said:

It’s all about managing your stock in a normal season, I would normally do a mix of drives aiming for between 40/50 but with the way things are at the minute I could easily do them a 100+ bird day but then people start to moan when the next couple are 30 bird days, once over they would of been over the moon with a 30 bird day,I guess I’m a victim of my own success ?

I would be trying for the record bag....imagine how well that would make you look in a season where you released fewer birds ?

I would just carry on as normal Stavross. You haven’t got bird flu yet , you are relatively low numbers . It seems to be hitting the bigger shoots with shitty feed rides . I know you can never say never but if it was me I wouldn’t go for the big day , as one or two of the guns won’t be there and miss out and be pissed off or someone would be pegged badly and miss out . You can be philosophical if you get a good stand next week but if it’s all about one day , someone will be unhappy. 

• Like 4