SGC with a criminal record?

So a question for you guys that know of people who have been refused. Do you know if they get to the stage of a home visit? I’ve read things where people state that the home visit is the last step of the application and if everything is in order then you’re good to have your license. So my question is do they still do home visit if they know before coming that you’re not going to be successful in getting a certificate? Would seem a waste of time if they are going to refuse your application but still want to come out and do a home visit

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Update:   received a call today from my FAO scheduling a inspection of the cabinet next week. So overall it’s took 343 days from handing my application in to having the inspection.   

Update     FEO came around today nice guy nice informal chat. First thing he wanted to do was check out the security of the cabinet asked me to open it and gave it a couple of tugs happ

The FEO home visit is the last step, it’s still not a given that you will be granted but the odds are well in your favour as if they had drawn any concerns from your application then you wouldn’t be g

On 10/06/2023 at 16:48, jimmy boy said:

I hit a copper 40 years ago and I went to prison for 2 years they still won't give me a license 

Did you have a home visit/cabinet inspection at any point?

Edited by Dearhunter
8 minutes ago, Dearhunter said:

So a question for you guys that know of people who have been refused. Do you know if they get to the stage of a home visit? I’ve read things where people state that the home visit is the last step of the application and if everything is in order then you’re good to have your license. So my question is do they still do home visit if they know before coming that you’re not going to be successful in getting a certificate? Would seem a waste of time if they are going to refuse your application but still want to come out and do a home visit

The FEO home visit is the last step, it’s still not a given that you will be granted but the odds are well in your favour as if they had drawn any concerns from your application then you wouldn’t be getting a visit, they will check cabinet security and maybe ask a few questions, like where would you keep your cartridges, if they are happy you’ll either receive your ticket or a letter of refusal, they normally won’t tell you at the time of the visit if you will be granted, good luck 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
26 minutes ago, Stavross said:

The FEO home visit is the last step, it’s still not a given that you will be granted but the odds are well in your favour as if they had drawn any concerns from your application then you wouldn’t be getting a visit, they will check cabinet security and maybe ask a few questions, like where would you keep your cartridges, if they are happy you’ll either receive your ticket or a letter of refusal, they normally won’t tell you at the time of the visit if you will be granted, good luck 

Perfect thanks reply and for support, yes that was my initial thought if there was any issues with the application surely they wouldn’t arrange a home visit.. hopefully everything goes swimmingly well. I’ll post a update of how I think the visit went in a few days.

• Like 1

Update

FEO came around today nice guy nice informal chat. First thing he wanted to do was check out the security of the cabinet asked me to open it and gave it a couple of tugs happy with the cabinet we sat down ran through the application form asked a couple of questions about my past nothing to intrusive then moved onto safety questions and some general chat about guns and cars all in all lasted about 40 minutes, at the end of the visit I asked what the next step of the application is and he said ‘next step is you wait for your certificate to come through the door’ I then replied ‘or a refusal letter’ he then said don’t ‘worry you won’t get refused’ so anytime from 2-4weeks wait now for certificate to be posted. Very please with the home visit experience. Will update once certificate arrives for people wanting to know a timescale from start to finish.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
41 minutes ago, Dearhunter said:

Update

FEO came around today nice guy nice informal chat. First thing he wanted to do was check out the security of the cabinet asked me to open it and gave it a couple of tugs happy with the cabinet we sat down ran through the application form asked a couple of questions about my past nothing to intrusive then moved onto safety questions and some general chat about guns and cars all in all lasted about 40 minutes, at the end of the visit I asked what the next step of the application is and he said ‘next step is you wait for your certificate to come through the door’ I then replied ‘or a refusal letter’ he then said don’t ‘worry you won’t get refused’ so anytime from 2-4weeks wait now for certificate to be posted. Very please with the home visit experience. Will update once certificate arrives for people wanting to know a timescale from start to finish.

If I remember correctly after my visit I still had to wait months and months . I phones FAO few times and kept getting told it won't be long.  

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, Dearhunter said:

Update

That’s what you want from an FEO, giving it to you straight, the only downside to your application is the time, that has been nothing short of ridiculous, soon be time to go shopping 

• Thanks 1
On 13/06/2023 at 18:35, Welsh_red said:

If I remember correctly after my visit I still had to wait months and months . I phones FAO few times and kept getting told it won't be long.  

I got an interim SGC whilst waiting for mine to be renewed.

Surely it would have as easy to just processed mine as it was confirmed as renewal granted? 

Cheers, D.

• 1 month later...

Update 

certificate dropped through the door today. It’s been one hell of a wait a total of 387 days from the day of handing the application form in to receiving through the post. 

From application to home visit was 343 days.

From home visit to certificate received was 44 days.

Northumbria police.

Thank you to everyone on this thread who was helpful and hopeful and encouraged me to go ahead with the application considering having a criminal record of many years ago now. Best advice I would give to anyone reading this in the same position is to be open and honest about everything.

• Like 1