Toad spunk

Air pump's due Tuesday. Water testing the big tank as we speak! :good:

I was thinking, this morning; I won't be able to say I Bred them. But, Rearing them, from spawn, will be no mean accomplishment.

Crack it and I'll have to keep how ever many I manage to raise. Be a year or two before any females are discernable :icon_eek:

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Ken's Deputy said:

I was thinking, this morning; I won't be able to say I Bred them. But, Rearing them, from spawn, will be no mean accomplishment.

Crack it and I'll have to keep how ever many I manage to raise. Be a year or two before any females are discernable :icon_eek:

Are toads harder then frogs because frogs are a piece of piss. We did 2/300 last year

2 hours ago, Ken's Deputy said:

Honestly keeping the little buggers alive from tadpoles to adults is the hard part so if you end up with good numbers you can definitely give yourself a pat on the back

Best of luck with it all pal, hope you'll keep us all updated as things progress :thumbs:

3 minutes ago, BGD said:

Honestly keeping the little buggers alive from tadpoles to adults is the hard part ...

Don't I know it, mate. Done it all before with several species. Just never B. bufo (I mean, who would?!) But, all that was decades ago and I genuinely don't even remember a fraction of the shit I knew then.

Plus, I gave away my journals. Packed with first hand knowledge and experiences. I kept running, up to the minute, accounts of what I was doing. Had shit published on it.

Also had a constantly changing supply of live stock, on my doorstep. (Oh, the things we take for granted!) Now? Fukking Tubifex is like the holy grail! :icon_eek: (Used to breed my own of them and fleas too. But, again, I had all the set ups.

Now? One damaged tank. An air pump in the post. And an all consuming and ever more time sensitive bucket list!

3 minutes ago, gnipper said:

Cold frames

Now, That's a fukking excellent idea! Now ye mention it? I had a mate, in Norfolk. (DB! That was him! Christ, it just came back to me!) He bought a plot there, because it was cheap, just so he could be left alone and breed his amphib's.

Point is; He had derelict greenhouses. So, what with the low brick wall bases, they were practically huge cold frames, in structure. Had all sorts going on in them.

He had the last of one sort of frog on the earth. Last individual in existence. Pool. Frog, I think it was? British one. Knew it was there because of its call. Don't think he ever actually laid eyes on it.

Some official boffins came down and verified it. Not that they could teach my man much! Shit themselves completely and started some quest about it.

Think they were talking about importing some continental ones, or something. Something, something genetics. DNA. I don't know. We wrote eachother letters, on paper, those days. No internet. No google experts.

But, yeah, 'Cold Frames'. What developed into what we'd call an " Amphibiary ". Fukking excellent! Thanks for jogging the old gray shit! I'll get onto it :good: