Sheep dip

On 20/04/2022 at 21:51, Davydunny said:

Does any lads still dip there dogs ,I've asked a farmer mate for a jam jar full to do our lurchers ,as everything else is failing against the ticks  

I know this is probably a daft question, as you've said you've tried eveything, but have you tried Frontline? I have a hell of a lot of ticks near me as there are so many roe deer and I find that Frontline always keeps them at bay (touchwood). I had a pup a few years back who'd not been frontlined yet and he came back from a walk in the local wood with over twenty ticks on him. The only problem I do find with it is that, although it's supposed to be used monthly, I sometimes find I have to reapply it between three and four weeks. Difficult to tell though as sometimes you find one crawling on them but it's simply not bitten yet and so still alive.

Yes mate I've tried it .I'm looking for cost effectiveness in a deterrent. Bloody nightmare .years ago there was a wash called vet kem .brilliant stuff .plus a muscle rub called curacho ,use to water down and spray on dogs .brilliant stuff .,can still get hols of curacho just not many spots will post a liquid now ! 

I've heard of quite a few people who still use the sheep dip and I gather a lot of shepherds dunked their dogs along with the flock. But wasn't there one type which possibly led to some type of cancer in shepherds who had a lot of exposure to it?

On 20/04/2022 at 21:51, Davydunny said:

Does any lads still dip there dogs ,I've asked a farmer mate for a jam jar full to do our lurchers ,as everything else is failing against the ticks  

I have dip them for year in sheep dip.even done the ferrets in it too 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Neal said:

I've heard of quite a few people who still use the sheep dip and I gather a lot of shepherds dunked their dogs along with the flock. But wasn't there one type which possibly led to some type of cancer in shepherds who had a lot of exposure to it?

It's took out off the sheep.Dip now 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

We have to put the sheep through a machine that spray’s them I’m sure it’s called a magic eye but the chemical only lasts three weeks,the shepherd told me that proper sheep dip is now banned because of farmers getting cancer,some people use ivomec but it’s no good for dogs with collie blood in them as it’s fatal to them, wf 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I have some amitraz (brand name taktic), got be careful with the dosage but works a treat. Hunt kennels used to use it and the terrier an gave me the nod on the stuff years ago. 

There's also Spinosad, you can get it in a tablet form from the vets under the brand name comfortis but it's commonly used in Australia as a sheep dip. Added bonus to that is its an organic bacteria with no know side effect to dogs or humans, there's a chicken version called elector psp. 

• Like 1