2 hours ago, Ken's Deputy said:

Aldrich? They came in different sizes for different creatures.

I had quite the thing for foot snares, once upon a time. Still got a crate of various, weird and wonderful, things here.

No, the one I was shown was a pipe about 18 inches long with the snare attachment and spring, directly east of here is Maine where its a common method of black bear capture, they use ouell ursus and M15's, stick a trail cam up that triggers their phone when a bear is caught so they can get to the site ASAP. 

Screenshot_20220217_134538.jpg

• Like 1

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not kill but possibly catch something like this?  Probably not quite right with the exact details. Very possibly nowhere near!?   But it might give you some  ideas to play with . ?

Here a few examples from the US Trap Museum  

Yes, you and ken are correct.  It is a snare. The loop went over the trigger pan and was attached to each end bar that springs out. Apparently to catch and hold a rabbit by the leg. Had a better look

Posted Images

:good: Cheers! I don't think I've ever come across that sort? :hmm: I can't  honestly recollect one. Yet, at the same time? Something about it whispers to me.

I wonder if I passed over one, when reading up on something else, years after the fire had died, for me?

Anyway; As soon as I read " Pipe ", I thought of the Marital Aid! Damndest thing I ever did see!

I was very reliably informed it was a foot snare. For what? What it was called? How the hell ye'd use it? God knows!

From dim memory, I think it's like two, plastic, pipe things. Fitted together. Off white / cream coloured plastic? Maybe it was mean't to be buried? Think it has a white, plastic cord loop coming out of one end. Dunno.

Actually, thinking about that crate has reminded me: I'm pretty sure I have another one in there I've completely forgotten about. Sitting here, I genuinely can't remember a damn thing about it!

It was mentioning the plastic one. Prompted me to think of saying how the rest are steel. Then, This damn thing flashed across my mind. I imagine I'd recognise it, if it's still in there? But, I haven't really looked at this shit in pushing two decades now! (No heated rush to drag them all out now either)

9 hours ago, Wolfdog91 said:

:clapper: That's bloody Brilliant, Wolfie! Excellent! All That fascinating shit out there ~ yet; Does Gerstell even mention Foot Snares? Does Anybody??? :(

I found them so fascinating. Yet so hard to glean any info' on. Like, if ye wanted to know the atomic structure of the steel used on the seventh link of a Newhouse #4? Everyone and his dog was flapping their lips about it.

Foot Snares? Crickets and tumble weed.

I have a Verbail, knocking around here, somewhere.

On 18/02/2022 at 02:16, Wolfdog91 said:

FB_IMG_1645150243621.jpg

What a great picture of really interesting traps.  You can see why the terms gin and engine are applied to traps. They certainly have the mark of an engineer's hand and mind  upon them.

I may be a odd but the trap that really has my interest is probably the least exciting looking one.

It looks like something that someone20220218_124642.jpg.30780dcad6fb46ff27b730745f0375d1.jpg with a bit of scrap metal  ,a welder and a hacksaw could knock up in their shed???? Just as an experiment of course?

Edited by comanche
1 hour ago, Ken's Deputy said:

:clapper: That's bloody Brilliant, Wolfie! Excellent! All That fascinating shit out there ~ yet; Does Gerstell even mention Foot Snares? Does Anybody??? :(

I found them so fascinating. Yet so hard to glean any info' on. Like, if ye wanted to know the atomic structure of the steel used on the seventh link of a Newhouse #4? Everyone and his dog was flapping their lips about it.

Foot Snares? Crickets and tumble weed.

Side note remember I had some belisie foot snares in storage and dude some out for y'all. these are the smaller 6" versions 

IMG_20220218_150232441.jpg.e43ea8219ae2cbfa45923cd27e80ce4c.jpg

IMG_20220218_150345298.jpg.d126b3bf331df4447b96ac7fb6ab4fdb.jpg

Haven't used the 13 or so I got in a bit but their really nice when everyone and the cousins dog is out running around. Will day though really happy I forgot the safetys on the few times deer wanted to mess around at the set ??

Btw if y'all are on FB y'all should join this group if your into trap collecting and the like

Screenshot_20220219-022157.png.50576cf3dafcabaf9644b30429de1a75.png

• 1 month later...

Just saw a camping store off the highway, I am contemplating doing the K2 basecamp trek in Pakistan so went in to see the kipping bags, only saw a massive shooting bit upstairs with a trap section, and they sell bear foot-snares. 

IMG_20220403_172253.jpg

IMG_20220403_171200.jpg

IMG_20220403_171241.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
On 17/02/2022 at 15:54, mackem said:

No, the one I was shown was a pipe about 18 inches long with the snare attachment and spring, directly east of here is Maine where its a common method of black bear capture, they use ouell ursus and M15's, stick a trail cam up that triggers their phone when a bear is caught so they can get to the site ASAP. 

Screenshot_20220217_134538.jpg

Just seen the store has replacement snares for these, I am thinking it's because there's sightings in this neighbourhood and nuisance animal officers use them. 

IMG_20220427_190250.jpg

• Like 1