On the moles

Grandson was out today he found quit a few with fresh activity , but he said he stilled struggled to find decent runs especially along the field fence lines , he only managed to get 4 traps in the ground ,any advice guys as trying not to interfere too much but at the same time encourage him thanks for reading 

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just finished farm happy farmer 57 moles had grandson today with me he loves been on farms

Checking traps today and Two albinos from the same field.  

Future catcher in the making. Will undercut the lot of us as well. 10 moles for a yogurt.  

Posted Images

Find a good straight run. Forget all that stuff about feeding runs and travelling runs, just find a straight bit. Open up and smooth out with probe handle, add more soil and tighten it up if needed. Fit trap as tight as possible, wedge in with soil so there is zero movement. 

Go back 48 hrs later. Remove mole. Bill homeowner £250. 

PXL_20240429_093945984.jpg

PXL_20240429_094039663.jpg

PXL_20240429_094037204.jpg

PXL_20240429_094053430.jpg

• Like 2
21 hours ago, DIDO.1 said:

Find a good straight run. Forget all that stuff about feeding runs and travelling runs, just find a straight bit. Open up and smooth out with probe handle, add more soil and tighten it up if needed. Fit trap as tight as possible, wedge in with soil so there is zero movement. 

Go back 48 hrs later. Remove mole. Bill homeowner £250. 

PXL_20240429_093945984.jpg

PXL_20240429_094039663.jpg

PXL_20240429_094037204.jpg

PXL_20240429_094053430.jpg

Many thanks for the info and pics he said he was not packing his trap as much as that so he has learned something new thanks  

9 hours ago, blueeyes said:

Many thanks for the info and pics he said he was not packing his trap as much as that so he has learned something new thanks  

Each to there own but i plug any voids with mud then push some soil down the sides of the trap to stabilise the trap then cover with a inch or so of loose soil to seal the trap.

• Like 2
15 hours ago, lifelong cumbrian said:

Each to there own but i plug any voids with mud then push some soil down the sides of the trap to stabilise the trap then cover with a inch or so of loose soil to seal the trap.

Thanks for the info all these little bits help, he set 11 traps Sun and he said it was to rain all day Mon so was hoping they would be on the move looking for worms , he went down yday had 4 moles and 3 backfills using tunnel traps he is over the moon and now looking for Petang ones for the backfill ones lol I am so pleased he is getting a result long may it continue tks 

20240430_133620.jpg

20240430_131514.jpg

• Like 1
9 hours ago, blueeyes said:

Thanks for the info all these little bits help, he set 11 traps Sun and he said it was to rain all day Mon so was hoping they would be on the move looking for worms , he went down yday had 4 moles and 3 backfills using tunnel traps he is over the moon and now looking for Petang ones for the backfill ones lol I am so pleased he is getting a result long may it continue tks 

20240430_133620.jpg

20240430_131514.jpg

Pm me your address I'll send you some putanges. I don't use em

• Like 2
20 hours ago, blueeyes said:

20240430_133620.jpg

20240430_131514.jpg

I mainly use Putanges, odd times barrel traps, if i get a backfill with either i change the set to a talpex.