2 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

I reckon it'd go the other way. They'd be forced to use small calibres and have to get much closer. It'd be too much like hard work even with thermal, and most would just not bother trying for the skins.

It's not worth joining the badger cull for the shitty few quid a head that's offered, can't imagine the skins of anything in this country would ever make decent enough money to motivate anyone to make an effort beyond what they already are doing tbh.

The prices back then were better than working like you say you would need pelts to be worth around £150/£200 each in today’s money to be equal to the 80s ?? The tagging program on urban fox’s in Bristol also bumped the money up as well as around a 1/3 rd of the fox’s were collared or tagged and the guy running the programme never judged you for killing them he just payed you for the collar or tag and asked you how it had died for his data. ??

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Greyman said:

The prices back then were better than working like you say you would need pelts to be worth around £150/£200 each in today’s money to be equal to the 80s ?? The tagging program on urban fox’s in Bristol also bumped the money up as well as around a 1/3 rd of the fox’s were collared or tagged and the guy running the programme never judged you for killing them he just payed you for the collar or tag and asked you how it had died for his data. ??

Was it that Ian McDonald fella P,wrote running with the fox? used to pay for the collars? remember reading his book and he would go out with terriermen and tag them ?

5 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

Was it that Ian McDonald fella P,wrote running with the fox? used to pay for the collars? remember reading his book and he would go out with terriermen and tag them ?

The bloke I dealt with was professor Stephen Harris at Bristol uni, he is not in anyway shape or form a hunter seems to have spent his entire working life studying urban wildlife, we used to see him walking around in the early hours with a big headset on and what looked like a tv Ariel tracking his collared animals, he must have had some good resources as there were catch alive cage traps in every wood or copse in town, we had a never ending supply of traps as well ??studied fox’s then badgers last I heard he was studying the urban deer population, have not heard of him recently but he was still going a few years back ??

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Greyman said:

Used to be jays wings back in the day along with squirrel tails and hares masks for the fly tiers, Fox pelts at £15/£25 each deer a ton a piece, rabbits 50p clean at the gamedealers or 25p bruised at the zoo, radio collars on Fox’s were £25 on top of the pelt and ear tags £5 each even trout used to fetch a £1 each round the pubs a weeks work on site would get me £50 ??

Jay's wings still sell but i dont kill them so don't bother with it. I think coots and moorhens wings, one or the other anyway, are worth money too. Its just pence but I build them up over the year and it pays for a pub dinner with the other lads that do the same. I sell a lot of deer carcasses and it's a real shame the skins go to waste. 

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Born Hunter said:

I reckon it'd go the other way. They'd be forced to use small calibres and have to get much closer. It'd be too much like hard work even with thermal, and most would just not bother trying for the skins.

It's not worth joining the badger cull for the shitty few quid a head that's offered, can't imagine the skins of anything in this country would ever make decent enough money to motivate anyone to make an effort beyond what they already are doing tbh.

Fair comment 

4 hours ago, Greyman said:

The bloke I dealt with was professor Stephen Harris at Bristol uni, he is not in anyway shape or form a hunter seems to have spent his entire working life studying urban wildlife, we used to see him walking around in the early hours with a big headset on and what looked like a tv Ariel tracking his collared animals, he must have had some good resources as there were catch alive cage traps in every wood or copse in town, we had a never ending supply of traps as well ??studied fox’s then badgers last I heard he was studying the urban deer population, have not heard of him recently but he was still going a few years back ??

Harris became a full on anti cnut. Used as a witness in hunt prosecutions. Discredited on numerous occasions 

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, DIDO.1 said:

Harris became a full on anti cnut. Used as a witness in hunt prosecutions. Discredited on numerous occasions 

That’s quite mad as he never used to flinch when we told him we had snared them or caught them with dogs just payed for the tags and collars and logged for his work, ??