Bsa air sporter

12 minutes ago, Deker said:

The wasps were/are still best for me in mine.    I'm fairly confident the Airsporter was a proper .22 throughout its model life, someone may know better than me on that (they did a .177 as well of course), but pellet (and other gun manufacturers) were steadily moving to 5.5mm.  It was/is incredibly simple mechanically and maybe BSA/the Airsporter did suffer from a lack of investment/technology, just plodding along with it making little more than cosmetic changes until it ceased production!

That’s spot on deker, and the 5.5mm pellets just weren’t compatible with the airsporter. Loose in the loading tap and loose in the bore was always a recipe for poor performance in both energy and accuracy. They’re still, and always will be a lovely looking air rifle though, apart from that terrible pressed chequering on the “S” model. Maybe “S” stood for shite..... ??

On 02/10/2021 at 13:42, Dervburner said:

I had an airsporter “S” .22 and it was crap basically, it would only really work with eley wasp pellets, anything else was low on power (about 9ft lb)and poor accuracy. Even with the eley wasps it ran about 11ft lbs but accuracy wasn’t brilliant. It had the plainest walnut stock I’ve ever seen with awful pressed chequering that was deeper at one end of the panel than the other. All in all a major disappointment for what was supposed to be bsa‘s flagship model. I do like the mk1’s and mk2’s and I’d have another for nostalgia, but I honestly think that the later airsporters got by for years on their looks and name rather than their questionable performance. Just my opinion but there ‘tis.

I agree to some extent. Very nice things but BSA did not keep up with the design and development side of things when the Germans marched ahead and left them behind. Another British manufacturer did manage to produce the perfect BSA Airsporter though and called it the Pro Sport.

• Like 1
On 04/10/2021 at 21:05, eastcoast said:

I agree to some extent. Very nice things but BSA did not keep up with the design and development side of things when the Germans marched ahead and left them behind. Another British manufacturer did manage to produce the perfect BSA Airsporter though and called it the Pro Sport.

Your 100% right iv sayd it for years 

That the prosport is the new airsporter 

I mean all you have to do is look at the underleaver 

If only they had put the loading mechanism on it 

Would of been spot on 

Atvbjimmy ???

On 06/10/2021 at 23:29, bigmac 97kt said:

Your 100% right iv sayd it for years 

That the prosport is the new airsporter 

I mean all you have to do is look at the underleaver 

If only they had put the loading mechanism on it 

Would of been spot on 

Atvbjimmy ???

I bought a brand new MK2 Airsporter S from Bagnell & Kirkwood. It was probably the most expensive thing that I owned at the time. My like minded friends had HW77's and I got some stick. Yes, on paper, the German rifles were better but the BSA fitted me like a glove and was so much prettier. We had no chrono's or such like to prove that the HW's were more powerful and the only accuracy tests was putting pellets through rabbits heads. I always came out on top.

I sold it back to B&G when a girl that I had fancied for ages agreed to to go out with me that unfortunately coincided with me being back on the dole. I parted with it for the price of a new shirt and pair of trousers.

The relationship did not last. The pain of the break up has long since subsided and I have not thought about her for many years. But to this day I still miss that Airsporter S and regret letting it go.

14 hours ago, eastcoast said:

I bought a brand new MK2 Airsporter S from Bagnell & Kirkwood. It was probably the most expensive thing that I owned at the time. My like minded friends had HW77's and I got some stick. Yes, on paper, the German rifles were better but the BSA fitted me like a glove and was so much prettier. We had no chrono's or such like to prove that the HW's were more powerful and the only accuracy tests was putting pellets through rabbits heads. I always came out on top.

I sold it back to B&G when a girl that I had fancied for ages agreed to to go out with me that unfortunately coincided with me being back on the dole. I parted with it for the price of a new shirt and pair of trousers.

The relationship did not last. The pain of the break up has long since subsided and I have not thought about her for many years. But to this day I still miss that Airsporter S and regret letting it go.

Get yourself another airsporter fella, but you might find that nostalgia sucks more than the ex girlfriend ?

• Haha 1
9 hours ago, Dervburner said:

Get yourself another airsporter fella, but you might find that nostalgia sucks more than the ex girlfriend ?

I still own the Webley Omega that eventually replaced the Airsporter S. At the time it felt like a Rolls Royce. Today, in comparison to my Pro Sport, let alone my PCP (even if it is a 20 years + Daystate Huntsman) it feels like a bag of spanners. I would imagine if I were to obtain another S it would be as bad as the Omega, so I get what you are saying, but I loved it at the time, as I did the girl, whatever her name was.

• Haha 2
  • 3 weeks later...
On 09/10/2021 at 19:17, eastcoast said:

I still own the Webley Omega that eventually replaced the Airsporter S. At the time it felt like a Rolls Royce. Today, in comparison to my Pro Sport, let alone my PCP (even if it is a 20 years + Daystate Huntsman) it feels like a bag of spanners. I would imagine if I were to obtain another S it would be as bad as the Omega, so I get what you are saying, but I loved it at the time, as I did the girl, whatever her name was.

...the change in the very latest PCP is incredible to, my Falcon and Theoben Rapid seem very old now! :(

I've got an Airsporter with the prefix "es" that I've had since 1985 ? . Went to Old Downs in Swindon with it about 2012 and was knocking knock over targets at 35 yards freehand, witnessed by davyt63. I didn't do too well on the HFT coarse as it was topped with a scope with a 30/30 ret. It was left lame in the cabinet until a couple months back as the buffer washer had disintegrated and it needed a new o-ring on the piston too. I've got plans to have a couple of upgrades done to it  early next year and hopefully bring it back up to the accuracy it once had ??

• Like 1