Well it's arrived!

A few weeks ago i ordered a new .243. It had to be a Tikka T3X supervarmint. On Friday i got a call from the rfd to say it had arrived. After picking it up i sorted the trigger to my liking and fit a dayscope to enable some load developing. I already had a few homeloads from my last .243 and a box of 100grn federals plus a box and half of Hornady 58grn. I also loaded some 55grn nosler varmageddons with rl15 powder. Saturday i went to a local farm to run the rifle in and try a few different loads. I used the federals to run it in which consisted of cleaning the barrel first then firing a shot and cleaning again three times. I am quite pleased with the RL15 loads which grouped nicely even though i struggled at times to see the black cross on the board. I have bought some shoot and see targets for the zeroing session this week.

IMG_8876.JPG

IMG_8874.JPG

• Like 5

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was offered a French rifle last year. It was from 1939, never fired and only dropped once! ? 

A few weeks ago i ordered a new .243. It had to be a Tikka T3X supervarmint. On Friday i got a call from the rfd to say it had arrived. After picking it up i sorted the trigger to my liking and fit a

I’d just like to add that actually, I don’t like the French , “ Cheese eating surrender monkeys “.

Posted Images

The best value rifle out there . I’ve got the same rifle in the same calibre. I will be interested to read about more of your tests . I’ve some Barnes 58grn Varminator which I’m going to load . I’m going to try different seating depths and do a ladder test on the loads.  These will be the lightest bullets I’ve tried in .243 . 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, shovel leaner said:

The best value rifle out there . I’ve got the same rifle in the same calibre. I will be interested to read about more of your tests . I’ve some Barnes 58grn Varminator which I’m going to load . I’m going to try different seating depths and do a ladder test on the loads.  These will be the lightest bullets I’ve tried in .243 . 

I have used the 55grns before in 243 and they are very good. Last time i used Hodgdon BLC-2 powder but it is no longer available thanks to the EU. I still have a tub and a half but the results with RL15 are good enough for me not to bother with the BLC-2. I have seated the 55grns to 2.510". What powder are you using?

20 minutes ago, ianm said:

I have used the 55grns before in 243 and they are very good. Last time i used Hodgdon BLC-2 powder but it is no longer available thanks to the EU. I still have a tub and a half but the results with RL15 are good enough for me not to bother with the BLC-2. I have seated the 55grns to 2.510". What powder are you using?

I’ve got Vihtavuori 140 , 135 , and 130 at home . I’ve seen data for 135 and 140 . How far off the lands is that seating depth ? 

31 minutes ago, shovel leaner said:

I’ve got Vihtavuori 140 , 135 , and 130 at home . I’ve seen data for 135 and 140 . How far off the lands is that seating depth ? 

I never bother measuring to the lands so i couldn't tell you. On the nosler loading data it says to seat to 2.510" so that is where i start. I then seat either side and see which way is improving. I won't bother with doing it with this load though as it is good enough where it is. What i can tell you though is that Mike Norris of Brock and Norris told me the bigger the jump the bullet has to the lands the more accurate it is at range. 

I have just looked on the barnes load data and it also recommends RL15 as a powder for its 58grn varminators.

Seat to 2.540" , 41.1grns bottom load for 3,501fps up to 45.7grns for 3844fps. 

Edited by ianm
31 minutes ago, ianm said:

I never bother measuring to the lands so i couldn't tell you. On the nosler loading data it says to seat to 2.510" so that is where i start. I then seat either side and see which way is improving. I won't bother with doing it with this load though as it is good enough where it is. What i can tell you though is that Mike Norris of Brock and Norris told me the bigger the jump the bullet has to the lands the more accurate it is at range. 

There is so much conflicting information out there . Some touch on the lands and back off a few thou , but if you do that with some bullets there won’t be enough bullet in the neck of the case . I should think if someone like Mike Norris says that , then it must be true . 

12 minutes ago, shovel leaner said:

There is so much conflicting information out there . Some touch on the lands and back off a few thou , but if you do that with some bullets there won’t be enough bullet in the neck of the case . I should think if someone like Mike Norris says that , then it must be true . 

I tried once to measure to the lands on my 204 and 243 but as you say, there wouldn't be enough bullet in the neck. In fact on the 204 the bullet wouldn't even be in the neck where it to touch the lands. I always go over the max fill as well to see if groups tighten up. Watching for pressure signs obviously. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, ianm said:

What do you mean? UK are not part of EU anymore doesn`t EU export powder to UK?

1 hour ago, KimE said:

What do you mean? UK are not part of EU anymore doesn`t EU export powder to UK?

Hodgdons is an American powder and has an ingredient that the bureaucrats in the EU don't like. It cannot be imported any longer. It will take us a while to untangle our involvement in the EU, but that day cannot come quick enough for me. 

• Like 1