Bird eating rat

Mate of mine who’s into his aviary birds ,mostly budgies and canaries has had a rat get in few days ago and kill 15 hens sat on eggs .Got in under a slightly raised misshapen tile ,knawed the felt and used the wire to climb to the nest boxes .

Feckin thing had to make the holes in the nest boxes bigger to get in it was that big .15 birds in one night ,15 holes chewed bigger .Ate the heads off 3 budgies and dragged 4 bodies out the roof which was its down fall .Left the rest in the boxes ?

He traced  a feather and tiny blood drag to his decking and just filled the hole with gravel lol.

Hes not very trap ,fieldcraft minded but does shoot .

Obviously hole was opened again and now it’s been trying to eat the bottem of the Avery door .That was until I set a my 6 fenn outside the decking .First night it dug out further along so I rammed bricks in tight and day later had this monster bang to rights .

Cant access pics for some reason so try later .Bloodthirsty fecker .

• Like 1

Reminded me of way back, when I was a youngster. School mate of mine had an aviary. Budgies and such like. Rat, pretty inevitably, appeared. Did the work.

He called me up about it and I went up there with a couple of gin traps. Made a tunnel, inside the shed of his aviary. Trap in either end and, I remember, I set the head of a cockatiel as bait, between them.

Explained to him how the fukker'd be back. And he'd be tempted by an easy meal off what he'd left behind the night before. And I went home.

Next morning, the phone rang. It's my mate. He's screaming; " You know that rat?! " I'm like, 'Oh, here we go! I've failed and the fukker's destroyed the rest of his fukking birds!'

Then, he carries on: " The fukking thing's enormous! And it's stone cold dead! In one of those traps you set! "

I'm like, fourteen year old 8)

• Like 1
2 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

Cracking result Tim, I’d have happily trapped that fcuker, sickens me when they take birds off nest pans, know a guy years back it was happening to an even after lots traps an poisons an stuff the fella just lost heart an gave up over 40 years a canary breeding, an all cos the neighbour wanted to become a cat charity, built loads a runs in garden an went around collecting all unwanted cats, which in turn attracted more rats than the poor guy next door could put up with, mice can be cnuts aswell, usually disease tho am not taking hems off nests

Two doors down from him not long moved in and now have chickens .Going to be a permanent tunnel set there from now on .

10 hours ago, sid g said:

i had one chew its way through a ply floor on a pigeon loft took the head off one of the cock birds and dragged it half way through the hole , a mate saw one on his garden dragging a young woodie across his lawn it had got out of his conifer tree ...

There’s a vid on the tube with a rat chasing pigeons around a loft .Average Joe would never think the rat was so carnivorous .

1 minute ago, CO CHISE said:

I had a one a couple of years ago get into my aviary and eat something like 10/12 clear yellow Irish canaries, b*****d thing !

I also filmed this only the other week ?

The little recording is too big but it was of a mouse eating the brains of another mouse that was caught in a trap 

• Like 1