Open sights

Had a few tetleys ☺️ and reminiscing about old airgun times. Iv never gone out deliberately without telescopic sights (apart from the 4x20s on my early guns as a child) but in the farm office i worked at i was a 18 year old  in 2000. There was a bsa mercury leaning against the office (shed) wall, I used to love that thing, we had many tea breaks shooting tin cans and heared many ace stories from the stockman that owned it and worked there. As I lived there each night I would do the rounds checking everything was OK with the pigs. Some nights I would take it with me, cooked with a pellet in (marksmans) I shot lots of close range rats with that gun (and a few rabbits) Its the only time I used open sights. I'd love to hear any old open sight shooting stories!

Dunno what all that sez mate, bit drunk, can’t read it, however, I’m smashing some woodies with open sight at the minute. Actually bought a diopter sight for me 99, but don’t fit. Bollox. But yeah, open sights mate... the way forward ??

I used to shoot magpies and wood pigeons in the orchard with my .22 Webley mk3 when I was a lad. I still have it and my Webley Vulcan .177 with o-en sights. They only come out for nostalgia now days, but put a grin on my face. In fact, I lent the mk3 to my dad in 1991 and he’s still got it.?

12 minutes ago, forest of dean redneck said:

Couldn’t  afford telescopic sights back in the 90s , 

one thing is open sights better for snap shooting bring gun up an bang 

with scope set the crosshairs on target faff around etc ?

Same here, in the 70's and 80's, could just about afford an air rifle, never mind scopes! Lol. 

Shot LOADS of rats, feral pigeons and corvids, with open sights ?

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, shaaark said:

Same here, in the 70's and 80's, could just about afford an air rifle, never mind scopes! Lol. 

Shot LOADS of rats, feral pigeons and corvids, with open sights ?

Last 2 rifles I had I just had open sights on . Only reason the rat catchers got a scope is it came with it already zeroed on ?

• Like 1