Squirrels

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm going to have a play with the koro

I agree, Fenns can leave the quarry alive for too long, that Mink I caught recently didn't die straight away. I have been using these recently:   Only problem, after this pair I reset and le

Like I've always preferred a rifle over a shotgun. Precision over spray and pray.  

Posted Images

• 1 year later...

I came across this thread while I was looking at squirrel-trapping options.

I'd just add to Dido's doubts. I've been using a Fenn mk4 in the green Quill box as well. I'm an amateur, trapping squirrels in my own garden. I've been sitting in the garden when the trap has been sprung and it's definitely not always a clean kill. I've heard the squirrel struggling in the trap within the box, despite fully having it's head and body caught and needed to finish it off with an air rifle - not pleasant for me or the animal.

I'm now using a Fenn mk6 with a lot more oomph. I don't think the mk4 should be approved for squirrels. It might finish off smaller ones, but it's just not always strong enough to put a humane end to fully-grown animals.

• Like 2
On 02/10/2022 at 14:07, Middlesex said:

I came across this thread while I was looking at squirrel-trapping options.

I'd just add to Dido's doubts. I've been using a Fenn mk4 in the green Quill box as well. I'm an amateur, trapping squirrels in my own garden. I've been sitting in the garden when the trap has been sprung and it's definitely not always a clean kill. I've heard the squirrel struggling in the trap within the box, despite fully having it's head and body caught and needed to finish it off with an air rifle - not pleasant for me or the animal.

I'm now using a Fenn mk6 with a lot more oomph. I don't think the mk4 should be approved for squirrels. It might finish off smaller ones, but it's just not always strong enough to put a humane end to fully-grown animals.

Even the mk 6 aren't great, they might have more oomph but they just aren't a good trap. There is always a better option than a fenn

• Like 1
20 hours ago, albert64 said:

I like the fen trap

Not so taken myself, Albert. Was that one stiff when ye found it?

I've watched a signalled tunnel of mine fire. Walked out there and peered in. There was the rat. Caught fair and square, just like in your photo. Only, it was struggling and twisting and very much alive and aware.

UK law says an animal must be rendered unconscious within five minutes. Five Minutes?!? Imagine someone driving a Land Rover onto your chest. Then, standing looking at you, impassively saying;

" Stop making such a fuss, Albert lad. Three minutes fifty seven seconds to go yet. It's quite legal. "

No. Fukk that. Would ye do that to ye Dog? I just can't see what people think's so wrong with a good, old fashioned skull splitter.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Ken's Deputy said:

Not so taken myself, Albert. Was that one stiff when ye found it?

I've watched a signalled tunnel of mine fire. Walked out there and peered in. There was the rat. Caught fair and square, just like in your photo. Only, it was struggling and twisting and very much alive and aware.

UK law says an animal must be rendered unconscious within five minutes. Five Minutes?!? Imagine someone driving a Land Rover onto your chest. Then, standing looking at you, impassively saying;

" Stop making such a fuss, Albert lad. Three minutes fifty seven seconds to go yet. It's quite legal. "

No. Fukk that. Would ye do that to ye Dog? I just can't see what people think's so wrong with a good, old fashioned skull splitter.

I've caught rabbits around the neck in a mark 6 still alive, only just, but still breathing, after who knows how long in a trap. I've caught all legal quarry in a proper tight tunnel around the body futher back than the chest cavity, and I've seen huge numbers of stuff caught wrong in badly set fenns. They are easy to set and catch in, but will regularly catch in ways that aren't clean. Other traps and alternatives aren't easy to to catch in but kill quick and cleaner with more consistency...the alternatives make you think more to catch , and that's a good thing. Like Ginn's, you can cover the countryside in fenns in quick time, and catch, they are cheap and easy. But you will get bad catches and loose some traps if you set em in number.....pay more money, set fewer, set better and do a better job

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Ken's Deputy said:

Like I've always preferred a rifle over a shotgun. Precision over spray and pray.

?

Different times different ways. Once I was taught to cover my beat in as many traps and snares as possible, almost a matter of pride to check as many as possible.

I enjoyed it and am sad at its passing, realised I could still produce a days shooting with a different approach ?

I agree, Fenns can leave the quarry alive for too long, that Mink I caught recently didn't die straight away. I have been using these recently:

Only problem, after this pair I reset and left one on a low lean-to roof, charlie managed to climb up and make off with the next squirrel and the trap, never to be seen again.

20220920_082138.jpg

Edited by Torquemada
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
3 minutes ago, Torquemada said:

I agree, Fenns can leave the quarry alive for too long, that Mink I caught recently didn't die straight away. I have been using these recently:

Only problem, after this pair I reset and left one on a low lean-to roof, charlie managed to climb up and make off with the next squirrel and the trap, never to be seen again.

20220920_082138.jpg

Fox managed to carry off a tube trap? Sure it wasn't a 2 legged fox?