Jump to content

Kennel sleeping area


Recommended Posts

If you had a block built kennel block (so indoors) would you want the dog in a small enclosed sleeping box or just in the open on a raised bench? I have seen lads do both just wonder wondered which people use and why? Both need to be up off the floor obviously. 

Link to post

I built block kennels and started off with the dogs in the open on beds but it soon became apparent that in the winter this isn’t nowhere near warm enough. They are now in boxes inside the block kennel. 

  • Like 7
Link to post
16 minutes ago, socks said:

I built block kennels and started off with the dogs in the open on beds but it soon became apparent that in the winter this isn’t nowhere near warm enough. They are now in boxes inside the block kennel. 

 

How big are your block kennels mate?? Run size and sleeping box size? 

Link to post

A dog's own body heat will just keep escaping from its body without a structure to bounce it back. On a raised bed all that heat is lost through the night. A wooden box traps the heat and bounces a lot of  that heat back onto the dog.

  • Like 1
Link to post
9 minutes ago, foxdropper said:

I’ve a terrier bitch here that sleeps on top her box despite it full of straw ,all year round .I know that because there is a camera on them 24/7 .The option is the best bet though .

my old russell dog used to sleep in his run all weathers it had a roof and 3ft  covered on the sides but  still fairly open come oct i`d put a box in would he fook use it shut him in he`d scream the place down he would`nt use any type of bed or bedding just curled up tight on the concrete floor  last time he grafted he was 12 died aged 15 ...

  • Like 4
Link to post

They are tough little critters for sure Sid .My older bitch won’t settle this cold weather unless she’s got a cover on the door as well as straw .My wife wants her in but she dosnt settle then either ,pacing to go out .Once you kennel a dog I reckon it’s best to keep it up myself .Socks has a very good piece pinned on what to do in cold weather ,what section I’m not sure without looking .

Link to post
36 minutes ago, sid g said:

my old russell dog used to sleep in his run all weathers it had a roof and 3ft  covered on the sides but  still fairly open come oct i`d put a box in would he fook use it shut him in he`d scream the place down he would`nt use any type of bed or bedding just curled up tight on the concrete floor  last time he grafted he was 12 died aged 15 ...

Got a black dog here will only sleep curled up in the corner of his run any box of any discription he'll tear it to bits, wont have a water bowl in his run either, a right awkward bast@rd he is

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
23 minutes ago, foxdropper said:

They are tough little critters for sure Sid .My older bitch won’t settle this cold weather unless she’s got a cover on the door as well as straw .My wife wants her in but she dosnt settle then either ,pacing to go out .Once you kennel a dog I reckon it’s best to keep it up myself .Socks has a very good piece pinned on what to do in cold weather ,what section I’m not sure without looking .

not had terriers for a couple of year you know when its right to not carry on with them any longer  , 

Link to post

My Lurcher and Whippet have a kennel each in the shed with warm blankets in them.

But they often pull the blankets onto the shed floor and sleep on them.

Or they will jump up on the kennels and sleep on them no matter what the weather. 

But the shed and kennels are water and windproof so i all is well i suppose.

 

Link to post
2 hours ago, baker boy said:

Got a black dog here will only sleep curled up in the corner of his run any box of any discription he'll tear it to bits, wont have a water bowl in his run either, a right awkward bast@rd he is

Dogs often take after their owners BB🤣

Link to post

I was extremely lucky when I kennelled mine as each had a 9 feet run into a large wooden box which housed each individual bed . 
 

the boxes backed into a larger shed with an access room to all the beds . 
 

in the winter snows I’d leave one run door open for them all to use , with a heat lamp on in the shed with a few blankets duvets etc . 
 

9 times out of ten I’d find them all asleep there all tucked in together . Depends your situation and how your dogs are but as said I was lucky and had 4 lurchers who’s do that no bother . 
 

I removed the terrier though and stuck her in what would be called the wash house in old council houses like mine . 
 

never a fight or a drama . Lucky really they all got along no bother 

Link to post

when i first started with terriers mine had a shed with a large run .  inside i had 6 rabbit hutch type sleeping areas i used to put them in at night  during the day they had the run and corridor in the shed never had any fighting or hassle with them ... i went someones kennels a few year back and the terriers had a car tyre with  ply screwed to the bottom for a bed his lurcher had a lorry tyre  ,,, 

Edited by sid g
Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...