Roof insulation

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

2 days just insulating and putting fixing rails through...no heat coming out of this place!!

Insulation between the joists, as much as you can (probably 150mm or 200mm depending on joist depth), ply on top and then you can store easily up there...thats what I would do anyway..

Make sure what ever insulation you use in your roof leave a space for air flow

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, Francie said:

Yes newkid my attic it's roughly 8by6 metres 

Just rolls of insulation in the attic mate will be fine, they come pre cut at 600mm centres i think so you can roll between your joists...

Just now, Francie said:

Goodman,but is the kingspan better?

Insulation board (Kingspan is one of many) has better U-Value for its thickness than rolled insulation, so in short yes...

But it is very expensive and a nightmare to fit in an attic, I've used it under the roof in the vaulted ceilings as I havent got the space to use rolled insulation..

We use it loads on built up roofing systems, particularly the new zinc type systems.... the last one we did had 50mm rockwool slab, 150mm insulation board abs 30mm rockwool slab on top...the new building reg specs are mental!

2 minutes ago, NEWKID said:

Insulation board (Kingspan is one of many) has better U-Value for its thickness than rolled insulation, so in short yes...

But it is very expensive and a nightmare to fit in an attic, I've used it under the roof in the vaulted ceilings as I havent got the space to use rolled insulation..

We use it loads on built up roofing systems, particularly the new zinc type systems.... the last one we did had 50mm rockwool slab, 150mm insulation board abs 30mm rockwool slab on top...the new building reg specs are mental!

Thank you kev,if I used the rolled stuff would it be ok boarding over it then?

Just now, Francie said:

Thank you kev,if I used the rolled stuff would it be ok boarding over it then?

Yes mate, are you turning it into an attic room?

If so you will need to insulate the roof void, under your felt between the rafters..

11 minutes ago, NEWKID said:

Yes mate, are you turning it into an attic room?

If so you will need to insulate the roof void, under your felt between the rafters..

No mate,just looking to insulate to keep the heat in,if I put the rolls between the rafters then more rolls crossed above that,would that be good or a waste,I was thinking double it up,that or in between then ply it out?

31 minutes ago, Francie said:

No mate,just looking to insulate to keep the heat in,if I put the rolls between the rafters then more rolls crossed above that,would that be good or a waste,I was thinking double it up,that or in between then ply it out?

Insulation between the joists, as much as you can (probably 150mm or 200mm depending on joist depth), ply on top and then you can store easily up there...thats what I would do anyway..

• Like 1
Just now, Francie said:

What do you mean bramble?

If you were putting insulation board under your roof tiles, so up in the rafters you would need to leave a space between the roof and insulation for air flow...

But you will be insulating above you ceiling, so the air flow won't be affected

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, NEWKID said:

Thanks newkid