Lets see them old fashioned whippet/collie ferreting dogs

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Back in the day,..we used whatever jukel that was available...they had to work,...we made them work....it was emotional... Nowadays,  we breed what we want from a massive gene pool,...the hunting

First cross collie whippet 

Posted Images

1 hour ago, fred90 said:

I have seen that one YouTube, looks a good strong dog and runs well. would like to see it on different ground hedgerows, brambles, embankments etc, were a dog has to use its nose and really find it's game. that's were these little dogs come into there own. I have no doubt it would handle the difference ?

Unfortunately all my ground favours the bunny so you a need a mut that aint scared of cover , theres never any question of nose with beddy its the best thing i like about them 

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Sire - working whippet  

Dam- collie/lab

pictured at 5 months old.

As expected she turned out quite heavy ,but I really only bred her as a later brood bitch to have dogs by some of my faster running dogs .She is a keen worker always out there hunting in cover .Due  the dry areas rabbits favour in nz .these usually incudes  huge wind brown trees. I like to have my running dogs with a thicker leg ,fine legs hitting a hard baked branch or root at speed can only out have the one outcome,given  that my dogs are broken in hunting these areas,accidents can & do happened ,Id rather not pay the vet to have a nice mid winter holiday to the islands .

P1010393.JPG

P1010396.JPG

Edited by toolebox
  • Like 3
5 hours ago, toolebox said:

Sire - working whippet  

Dam- collie/lab

pictured at 5 months old.

As expected she turned out quite heavy ,but I really only bred her as a later brood bitch to have dogs by some of my faster running dogs .She is a keen worker always out there hunting in cover .Due  the dry areas rabbits favour in nz .these usually incudes  huge wind brown trees. I like to have my running dogs with a thicker leg ,fine legs hitting a hard baked branch or root at speed can only out have the one outcome,given  that my dogs are broken in hunting these areas,accidents can & do happened ,Id rather not pay the vet to have a nice mid winter holiday to the islands .

P1010393.JPG

P1010396.JPG

Put a good whippet over her and have some first class pups for ferreting in our country