Lawnmower Trouble

If in doubt ask the experts on THL.

My ride on lawnmower won't start. I had a quick look through the engine Briggs and Stratton, The starter motor is working but the fly wheel isn't moving.

I took out the spark plug and oil came flowing out.

The fly wheel moves when the plug is out.

I cleaned the plug and the engine made an effort to start.

It looks like there is oil in the carburetor and the air filter.

Is the engine f****d?

Thanks for your help.

7 minutes ago, Rebel said:

My ride on lawnmower won't start. I had a quick look through the engine Briggs and Stratton, The starter motor is working but the fly wheel isn't moving.

Is the engine f****d?

Thanks for your help.

Sounds like piston or piston rings are Fecked, so letting the engine oil into the head where only petrol should be. If that is the problem it's a handy enough fix as long as the barrel isn't damaged. 

Edited by dogmandont
4 hours ago, dogmandont said:

Sounds like piston or piston rings are Fecked, so letting the engine oil into the head where only petrol should be. If that is the problem it's a handy enough fix as long as the barrel isn't damaged. 

Thinking similar but can’t work out why the starter is turning and not the flywheel, taking the plug out and the flywheel spins is also weird as you have just lowered the compression a bit, often on old garden type machinery they have a magnet that spins to create a spark and if left unused the magnet and points rust and won’t spark but without a dig about in it it’s all guess work and it’s a bit far for me to have a look, think we need a video to sort this out ???

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Rebel said:

Is the engine f****d?

Thanks for your help.

Answer..... This is quite a common fault with machines and is being caused by the benzene element of petrol.  sometimes the float valve goes hard and petrol can bypass the carb float valve and fill the engine up with a mix of dilute petrol/ engine oil. This thin mix looks like oil but it can get past the rings into the cylinder.  This causes hydrostatic lock and the engine won't  turn over. Check the dipstick the level might be way over the line.  The fuel tank may be way lower because it has filled the engine.      Remedy,.. if what I have said has happened, then you will have to drain the engine oil and replace with new oil. take out plugs and clean and dry or replace.  WARNING.   BE CAREFUL OF SPINING ENGINE OVER BECAUSE THERE CAN BE A LOT OF FUEL BLOWN OUT WHICH COULD BE INGITED BE THE SPARK LEADS. THis can cause the whole machine to catch fire.   if you have an air line BLOW ANY EXCESS FUEL AWAY.  If not mop up what you can an allow to air dry by evaporation.  The fuel valve needs to be replaced or/ and fit a tap in the fuel line. A d remember to turn it on and off.

Ps. Petrol is causing all sort of problems with the fuel lines and rubber type components. 

Edited by Meece
  • Like 4

Thanks for taking the time to reply lads, I really appreciate it. 

I will drain the fuel and oil and leave to dry and see how I get on. New spark plug bought do see how that goes.

If all that doesn't work any recommendations for a ride on? Currently have a 13.5 castel that I bought second hand about 19 years ago.

Thanks again

17 hours ago, Rebel said:

Is the engine f****d?

Thanks for your help.

Engine isn’t fckd imho

had this with a rototiller. Lad managed to fill the oil that much it filled right up to the spark plug and even the carb was full.

we couldn’t start cause of the above.

drained the oil, cleaned the plug and she fired right up. Working still like a charm

3 hours ago, Ted Newgent said:

Engine isn’t fckd imho

had this with a rototiller. Lad managed to fill the oil that much it filled right up to the spark plug and even the carb was full.

we couldn’t start cause of the above.

drained the oil, cleaned the plug and she fired right up. Working still like a charm

Thanks very much Yes, everything is getting drained today.

What's the best way to clean a spark plug?

Thanks

wipe any oil or fuel of it and burn the rest of by holding a match or lighter under the end, yes it gets hot so watch your fingers, then give it a light rub with a bit of emery paper just to clean the ends, wipe the ceramic end clean and check its not cracked then check the gap is right, only takes a few minutes

19 hours ago, big sid said:

reason you can turn it with the plug out is because it letting the air fuel mix out  so there is no compression.

That don’t explain why the flywheel only spins when the plug is removed as it’s still connected to a con rod and crank I would think, not very literate so can’t explain the technicality’s but if I spent a day with it it would be purring like a kitten ???

Ps.  when you go to start it take it outside, note which way the wind is going because if and when it starts it will smoke like crazy as if its running on  neat oil.  You could tie it on to the back of a navy destroyer as a smoke screen machine. This may smoke for ten to fifteen minutes until all the overflow oil is burnt out of the silencer.  Don't  forget to either run it out of petrol and fit a fuel tap or else the same thing will happen again. WARNING,,,,, WARNING...... If the wind is blowing towards the house,  HER INSIDE will not be happy or the washing on the line is covered in oil smoke mist.  

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Meece said:

Ps.  when you go to start it take it outside, note which way the wind is going because if and when it starts it will smoke like crazy as if its running on  neat oil.  You could tie it on to the back of a navy destroyer as a smoke screen machine. This may smoke for ten to fifteen minutes until all the overflow oil is burnt out of the silencer.  Don't  forget to either run it out of petrol and fit a fuel tap or else the same thing will happen again. WARNING,,,,, WARNING...... If the wind is blowing towards the house,  HER INSIDE will not be happy or the washing on the line is covered in oil smoke mist.  

Thanks for the heads up being stuck in lockdown with me hasn't been the easiest on the poor woman. Something like that could be the last straw, could drive her to the mental, haha

18 hours ago, Greyman said:

That don’t explain why the flywheel only spins when the plug is removed as it’s still connected to a con rod and crank I would think, not very literate so can’t explain the technicality’s but if I spent a day with it it would be purring like a kitten ???

Haha, if I could get it bawling like an ass and cutting grass I would be happy haha

Well lads lawnmower up and running.

Just like was said she smoked like f**k but is now running away grand.There was a smell of petrol from the oil that was drained.

When finished with the mower should I turn off the petrol and allow the engine to run until it stops? Will that prevent that problem occuring again?

While I'm here and if you don't mind I have a few other issues.

The drive belt looks damaged, chunks taken out of it and the mower jumps forward when releasing the clutch. Obviously I need to replace the drive belt, but do I need to replace the pulleys?

Also the blade isn't engaging, it's an electronic one where you pull the button. This was working intermittently and I had to pull the button a few times, but now has stopped working. Do I need to replace the pto clutch?

Thanks very much and apologies for all the questions.