• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

After a discussion with the lady who runs the stables and the sheep farm, she advised me that she had seen a fox on a few occasions around 0600 in one of the fields.  We had a walk to where she s

The other night I'd been on another perm clearing rabbits from around the out houses and a couple of ferals from the cow shed.  Managed 5 rabbits in the space of 15 minutes.  The next day I

Your talking about the biggest opportunistic animal in the UK. If he happens across a pile of dog meat, he's gonna fill his furry face before mooching off to find the next thing to put in his mouth bu

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Meece said:

Sods law that charlie either doesn't show tomorrow or does something really random.  Son in laws brother and his partner have a riding livery and school ect.  They were being plagued by charlies eating the horse nuts,  making beds up in the hay stores, shitting in the hay, digging the horse shit out of the skip container, shitting  round the yard, generally right in a Doorway. Generally making a bloody nuisance of themselves.   Son in law and I went up there on numerous occasions to control them.  It was the most difficult shooting that I have ever encountered.  Firstly it was in winter and we were frozen solid.  the distance between  buildings was small and angles tight and few. One night I was put in a tack shed sitting in a doorway watching across an illuminated sand school.  After I had been sitting staring across the zone for about 15 minutes I leant forwad to look along the front of the shed.  Charlie was sitting like a dog at the end of the shed no more than ten feet away also intently staring across the sand school as if to try to see what I was looking for.  By the time I had shouldered the rifle Charlie had gone.  It was the first of many such similar frustrating events. Shooting around horse yards is difficult. 

It's not to bad, there is 45 acres of field, the sheep are always in a certain area away from the horses. 

The foxes tend to keep away from the stables and yard as they have a big German Shepherd guarding the place on a night and believe me you don't mess with him. 

We've shot 2 on there over the past couple of months and they tend to stick to a certain path along the hedgerows. 

Hopefully my early start in the morning will pay off but nothing is for certain. 

Well I was up at 0300 and in the field by 0400. Got myself set up with a nice little vantage point and baited the area with cat food. 

IMG_20200712_045918.jpg.29ac38b58148a04b62195daf4bb195db.jpg

In typical horse fashion the horses decide they want to have a nosy and hang around the baite area?IMG_20200712_045828.jpg.648f26f1d7f9e09bc132ad1a9fb8010a.jpg

In the end they decide to move off but I'm sure they ate the food?

Times passing by and 0530 comes and goes but no sign of the ginger. 

0600 comes and guess what I spot in the other fecking field, yep you've guessed it the ginger. 

IMG_20200712_060607.jpg.ce7be4a64abceb471b0ea400322f6e50.jpg

This field is used by a model airplane club and I don't have permission to shoot on it. The fox walked upto the top of the field and into the hedge.

I measured the distance and it was fair way but with the 308 I would of had a go if it was on my permission as the backstop was OK and I was shooting down. 

Screenshot_20200712_062303_com.logisian.mapulator.jpg.74bedffffe8c492a66089b2e61c7f3d1.jpg

I tried calling it in but to took no interest. So, that was that? 

I gave it another half an hour then came home. 

I'm going to start baiting up the hedgerows along the top of the field and put a few cameras up, as this is the direction it's headed on both occasions. 

Hopefully I can catch it on a night??

PS 

It's not turned into an 11 pager yet ianm but watch this space?

Edited by Longshanx
  • Like 4
10 hours ago, Longshanx said:

Seriously Ben, you dont?

I'll paint a picture☹️

Picture a piece of crumpled up foil and open it up & think it's skin, then draw a face on it and stick a ciggy in the mouth hopefully you get the picture ?

Oh........ disappointing 

I don't think that's the one Barry manilow was on about!!

• Haha 1

CAT FOOD !!!   Charlie won't eat that synthetic cold greasy shit.  If the fly boys aren't out there shoot it.  Nip over the fence and retrieve it. And don't keep shouting and whistling. Your only alerting it to your presence.  Either shoot it or leave it until you can.

Ps. Bloody horses.

Edited by Meece
37 minutes ago, Meece said:

CAT FOOD !!!   Charlie won't eat that synthetic cold greasy shit.  If the fly boys aren't out there shoot it.  Nip over the fence and retrieve it. And don't keep shouting and whistling. Your only alerting it to your presence.  Either shoot it or leave it until you can.

Ps. Bloody horses.

Believe it or not Meece the cat food keeps it in the area longer sniffing about. 

I won't be shooting it in the there land in broad daylight as its wide open and has houses near by, to many prying eyes. I'll be doing it the right way and getting in touch with them and asking if it's OK for me to access the land. 

Yeah bloody horses, they are a pain in the ass (no pun intended ?). 

54 minutes ago, ianm said:

Here we go!

I knew it!?

It was either you or Meece that jinxed me ?

You mentioned 11 pages then Meece said it will do something random or not show up 

Edited by Longshanx
  • Haha 1