After receiving a message from longshanx earlier today asking if I wanted a trap to the  stables with him as the lad there had contacted him saying he had a problem fox, I thought it would be rude not to as it’s 5 minutes from my front door. I met him there a little before 8 and we hatched our plan, a walk to the top field and set the caller half way down the field and stud in the corner, it was a cock pheasant that gave the fox up, as I glassed towards the distressed bird I spotted the ginger trotting towards the cub distress call, as longshanx dusted off the .308 the fox suddenly stopped and looked straight at us, a sudden thud told us all we needed to know, a dog at 77 paces ?

D8B38E5A-A7F4-4CF8-868F-DAA388D802B0.jpeg

D3FEAF7F-B4F4-4A80-B193-B981CC14FC0E.jpeg

Edited by Stavross
  • Like 15

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

After receiving a message from longshanx earlier today asking if I wanted a trap to the  stables with him as the lad there had contacted him saying he had a problem fox, I thought it would be rude not

Rattled plenty with my 308. Use to load 110g hornady v max on h4895 and get 3160 from the 20" barrel.

My Mrs is a cleaning nut . I reckon if I sat still long enough, I’d get shoved in the washing machine.       I’ve got coats that I avoid washing but it’s nothing to do with scent , it’s just I fi

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Stavross said:

After receiving a message from longshanx earlier today asking if I wanted a trap to the  stables with him as the lad there had contacted him saying he had a problem fox, I thought it would be rude not to as it’s 5 minutes from my front door. I met him there a little before 8 and we hatched our plan, a walk to the top field and set the caller half way down the field and stud in the corner, it was a cock pheasant that gave the fox up, as I glassed towards the distressed bird I spotted the ginger trotting towards the cub distress call, as longshanx dusted off the .308 the fox suddenly stopped and looked straight at us, a sudden thud told us all we needed to know, a dog at 77 paces ?

D8B38E5A-A7F4-4CF8-868F-DAA388D802B0.jpeg

D3FEAF7F-B4F4-4A80-B193-B981CC14FC0E.jpeg

That pheasant certainly done us a favour, gave the ginger away. 

I was scanning the hedge row when all of a sudden you were semi whispering "it's in the field, it's in the field". 

I dialled back the optic and there he was sat looking at us in the long grass.

I Lined up the cross hairs on its bib then squeezed the trigger, then thud job done. 

It's was a good first fox for the 308 & the momento will be hanging from the brass. 

Dropped the land owner a text and the old boy was over the moon. 

Think your right in saying start baiting up, will be worth while to see if anymore come in. 

• Like 4
56 minutes ago, shovel leaner said:

Well done boys  , a job well done . Nice when a plan comes together. I had a sit out tonight, and never saw a fox . But it was a warm and pleasant evening and I saw plenty of other animals and birds . 

Cheers SL. 

Sometimes its just nice to be out chilling and watching the wildlife. 

If you manage to bag anything that's a bonus ?

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Sausagedog said:

Shot a 308 for years.

Excellent choice sir?

Originally bought it for long range targets but it never got the chance to get on the military ranges, nearly sold it.

But now its starting to get out the safe since I bought a new scope and managed to get it zeroed at the farm. 

Needless to say it's not going anywhere yet. ?

• Like 2
57 minutes ago, Sausagedog said:

1602903082_kingston080.jpg.7a94aadc131ae32f78e099612b0bc3dd.jpg

Rattled plenty with my 308.

Use to load 110g hornady v max on h4895 and get 3160 from the 20" barrel.

I'm running federal premium 150 grn nosler ballistic tips at the minute. Bit OTT for fox but the rifle seems to like them.

I like them apart from the fecking price ?

20 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Nicely done lads ,I've forgotten what one looks or smells like ?

I definitely know what it smells like FH, my gloves fecking stink?

They be getting a wash today??

Edited by Longshanx
3 minutes ago, Longshanx said:

I'm running federal premium 150 grn nosler ballistic tips at the minute. Bit OTT for fox but the rifle seems to like them.

I like them apart from the fecking price ?

Even reloading is stupid money now.

Any American imports have a huge duty slapped on them from the EU. 

Just now, FOXHUNTER said:

I used to do a lot of rabbitting with a guy taking thousands a year , his clothes weren't washed ever zi dont think , he stunk of rabbit piss ?

Same here. It confuses them and gives you extra time sometimes. I highly recommend it. Seriously.

• Like 1
Just now, Sausagedog said:

Same here. It confuses them and gives you extra time sometimes. I highly recommend it. Seriously.

I couldn't walk around stinking of piss like someone from a care home ?? dont mind being a bit muddy but my clothes are washed all the time and doesn't make any difference I find....

• Haha 3