The keeper 1975

16 minutes ago, BenBhoy said:

Thought that would seem pretty cutting edge to you boys up there!!! ?

?, it’s not all flat caps, whippets and woodbines up here, although I wish it was, I think I was born in the wrong decade, that’s exactly how I’d like life to be ?

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, Stavross said:

?, it’s not all flat caps, whippets and woodbines up here, although I wish it was, I think I was born in the wrong decade, that’s exactly how I’d like life to be ?

Three of my favourite things flat cap, tabs & whippets??

• Haha 1

I knew two keepers from those times.

Vermin vermin vermin. That's all they were focused on. They had jibs they hung the vermin on. One was a 30yd wire rope full of rotting vermin hanging off it and where the gaffa could drive past it to inspect.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Sausagedog said:

I knew two keepers from those times.

Vermin vermin vermin. That's all they were focused on. They had jibs they hung the vermin on. One was a 30yd wire rope full of rotting vermin hanging off it and where the gaffa could drive past it to inspect.

Was it on Packham’s gate ? ?

• Haha 4
On 04/05/2020 at 21:32, Longshanx said:

Came across this last night and was a good little watch. 

I have seen that before and it just highlights how times have changed.

When he said "i have been here forty odd fifty years and i have only had three good seasons". How long would he have lasted in todays commercial environment.

Times have changed and not always for the better.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, ianm said:

I have seen that before and it just highlights how times have changed.

When he said "i have been here forty odd fifty years and i have only had three good seasons". How long would he have lasted in todays commercial environment.

Times have changed and not always for the better.

Sad really, today he would have been down the road quicker than you can snap your fingers. I watch it again the other night, just so claiming to watch, I think it's just his gentle manner and how he just goes about his life. 

• Like 1

I hate todays cut throat commercial shoots where no one is valued.

They will be the death knell of game shooting.

Places like Warter priory where thousands of birds are shot each week. The turn over of labour there is phenomenal.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, ianm said:

I hate todays cut throat commercial shoots where no one is valued.

They will be the death knell of game shooting.

Places like Warter priory where thousands of birds are shot each week. The turn over of labour there is phenomenal.

It's all about the money and investment bankers lording it up. The shoot I go to with Stav is great, a small working man's shoot, everyone has a laugh and a good day, no birds are left over as they all get taken for the pot. 

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Longshanx said:

It's all about the money and investment bankers lording it up. The shoot I go to with Stav is great, a small working man's shoot, everyone has a laugh and a good day, no birds are left over as they all get taken for the pot. 

That is just like the little syndicate i am in.

• Like 1