Good evening at a livery yard

Been keen to get out but with all the madness at the moment I had been holding back but a livery yard owner was really keen and things are a little more relaxed about travel etc now so thought off I go. Conditions were excellent as it had been raining most of the day but stopped just before I arrived. Turned up and immediately I could see plenty of rabbits out feeding so loaded the AA S410 and started my rounds, walked out the yard and two youngsters were stood not 10 yards from me first shot straight to the head then down towards the paddock and a large doe 20 yards away, a conveniently located fence gave me a perfect rest to execute an eye shot and two from two shots. The evening carried on in much the same way, with a hours careful walking around only two smallish fields yielding 20 rabbits of various sizes but mainly adults. If I am honest it wasn’t the most challenging as no one had shot before and being a horse yard plenty of people normally around but nonetheless some very pleasing shots and stalks and a delighted owner. The rabbits had done some serious damage digging and he spends several hours a week filling holes incase the horses fall down them. Great to get out and some fresh meat for the ferrets especially as I have a litter of kits at the moment. Plenty more to go at and they are multiplying everyday at the moment so I will be back. 

• Like 7

On 30/04/2020 at 19:06, sam r said:

Good idea there’s a small livery near me ,spotted rabbits in the fields this morning , I’ll be giving them a call when all is back to normal 

I have always found livery yards productive spots for bunnies just sometimes a bit awkward with the horses and horsey people all over the place! However most are obsessed with their horses and if they see your safe they are always happy to see the hole digging pests dealt with and a air rifle is the safest way. Good luck hopefully they say yes. 

• Like 2

Well bumped into owner of the livery I explained about the rabbits in the paddocks they said they were aware of it ,but won’t have them shot , hopefully a decision they don’t regret 

• Sad 1