Digging in Finland

A bloke from this forum and myself were invited to Finland to see a bit of Terrier work Finnish style last year, never thinking it would happen due to work commitments, wives etc. etc.

Well chuff me if i haven't just got back from the best weekend i have ever had :D

Like all journey's it starts when you leave home and due to the other bloke sleeping in ( yes reader, he feckin well did :doh: ) a speedy journey to my house and then the landspeed diesel record being broken on the way to the airport saw us just scrapping in on time.

More buggering about at Amsterdam, more confusion from us who have not travelled since the early '90's and eventually arrived in Helsinki to stand there like spare pricks for an hour while our host turns up a little late( didn't you ).

Getting lost on our way to our new 'dig's' as well didn't inspire but who gives a feck, we are on holiday :drink:

post-2599-1199880267_thumb.jpg

View from the Cabin

As it was late and more guest's were yet to arrive, we went to see the young bitch that went to Finland see her first Fox under controlled conditions. :icon_eek: Feckin things have got long coat's, much longer than our's but you can't blame them as it was hovering around - 5 or there about.

The young bitch had a look and a sniff before getting into the job and baying at the hairy fecker for a while, quite pleased with the bitch as she is just over 6 month's. All exteremelly well organised and done proffessionally. :)

We had to get back to our digs then, ready to greet the other guest's, a German fella and a bloke from Belgium.

Talking terrier's and drinking beer while 'starving like an African' as one bloke said, was the order of the evening and we were assured by our host that he wouldn't put the heating on too high in our room as it might be difficult to sleep , no fear thought i, getting stuck into the Ale as it was about National pride then, not to be out drunk by the other Nation's ( by the way, i think we won :toast: )

That night there was another un official snorring competion, won hands down by the Belgiun, who not only snored like a walruss but also had rythm with it :whistling:

Quick breakfast in the morning, even quicker wash as there was no running water at all but that didn't matter as we were on Holiday :)

Out at around 8 o'clock and picking blokes up from here there and everywhere, set of in a convoy, all legal and above board

First earth was soon found, black dog in and a Raccoon dog bolted to be dealt with and then the fun began .

Collar came of the Dog so we were left with it in an Earth working but not being able to locate it. A long story cut short, half the group went and the German fella, the host, his mate and the Brit's stopped back and got the dog out, then dug the Raccoon Dog and finished it with a PISTOL, yes in the Style of Jame Bond yours truelly tried doing the Raccoon but the pistol wouldn't work, a bit like on Schindlers List where matey's gun wouldn't fire :doh: any way, using absolutely no experience whatsoever the Raccoon Dog got the good news and we were on our way to the second dig. :D

When we got there they had already dug one out and were busy doing the next one with a smooth black dog if my memory is right, i made my excuses and slid off for a shovell recce

As i returned the second Raccoondog was dealt with and off we went to the next place................... so it continued all day until we had 6 in the bag and on to the last place.

Feckin big spot as the sun was quickly dropping and in went a Fox Terrier, yes a Fox Terrier and not a Russel.Soon found and down we went, 10 foot on the grey box but once the frozen top 8" was taken off it was easy going and another Raccoon dog was dealt with, the Fox Terrier moving on as we broke through to another part of the Sette.That's right 'Sette' as these things live in Badger Sette's.

Eventually we found the Fox Terrier and he was having difficulty pinning the Raccoon dog down so we broke through and took him out as it was now 22:00 and time for some food and Beer.

Off we set in a 25 year old Toyota Landcruiser, fitted with a Winch, the biggest off road tyres you can get, Sat Nav, all the digging tools you need and absolutely no feckin Diesel in it :doh: , we only went a mile or so and broke down

The driver, he wore an Orange hat and pictures of him will appear later, went 10km to get some more diesel, the other Finn went to the top of a hill to get some reception on his Mobile and left a German, Belgiun and us two Brits stood there outside the truck ( our breath was freezing on the inside of the windows and the plonker who was driving didn't like it ) no one knew where we were, no one spoke Finnish and we knew we still had to get the thing started when plonker got back.

Still we were on Holiday so it didn't matter :D

Eventually got the thing going after bleeding the diesel through and getting covered in the stuff at -6 or 7 and we eventually got home at around midnight. Couple of beers and bed, except as we were going home the next afternoon we decided to drink all the beer and go to bed at 3 am for some more sponsored snorring from the Belgiun representative :whistling:

Up and out for 8:30 and a quick dig on the way to the Airport , another in the bag for the bloke with the Orange hat's young bitch and that was that end of holiday

The Country, brilliant and as for our Host's, :notworthy: well they were a great bunch of people, although the obvious language barrier was there between 3 different Nationalities it was a great time and a really interesting way to go about digging, learning from one another and sharing stories.

The opportunity of a life time and well worth it, many thanks to our Friends in Finland :bye:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here more pics about our days.digging just before dog lost his locator.

2180354372_09b1d1299f.jpg

when kapi lost his locator I say many time ,go with others next place I wait with my friend if kapi comes out.

but our friend from england and germany say we dont leave the dog,thanks I always remember that!

2179566085_44c5b6c806.jpg

here some russel boys do all the job with good result. :thumbs:

2179566481_071ff06d9d.jpg

2180355640_a6f554f930.jpg

here start saturday last dig.

2180355828_7916db9962.jpg

2180356032_b668273166.jpg

just break through,dog up and cables in.

2180356508_67bb89a55d.jpg

racoondog up from earth.

2180356784_c8283f4fee.jpg

2180357020_137c19fa39.jpg

sunday morning,last dig to our english friend.you can see how he stand with shotgun and watch

that anti`s dont come too close to us.I said we dont have anti`s but he didnt believe me.

he said in england he always do like this because they make so big noise that he cant hear how

his dog is working :laugh::laugh:

2180357270_674705bf90.jpg

2179568511_5c0a7cdd7d.jpg

2180357756_b468cc4c4f.jpg

monday,last day to me.

digging power from Belgium :thumbs: It was kapi`s turn here.

2179568947_050e03a849.jpg

2179569431_81c866628c.jpg

2180358222_5d49948041.jpg

3 days and 15 racoondog,not bad.there was many earths waiting but time was end.

this time no badgers :( no special pics :(

thanks S and A Im sure we see here again!

(special thanks to A from my friends,you are best with the shovel what we ever seen :thumbs:)

What are the wires for?

JPT

They are used to pull out the dead animal mate, saves digging on to it as the Raccoon dog can get up a real tight place. They are twisted into the fur of the Raccoon dog.

They can use Pistol's for hunting and so locate the animal, get to so they can see it and shoot it.

As Brektu said over there, they Hunt with their Terriers and don't 'Test' them, all is done in the name of Vermin control. :thumbs: