Eley Fourlong carts.

My favourite 410 cart is the 2 1/2'' Eley Fourlong. Just right for what I want, close range vermin, and quiet enough so I don't need ear protection when used in me Baikal Hushpower. I hand 6 cartridges left so went to Mole Valley and bought some more. Bought 10 boxes, 250. These were in a different designed box,  but the spec was exactly the same, Eley Fourlong, 12.5 gram, number 6 shot in a 65mm/2 1/2'' case. Any ways, seen a rat on the bird table, about 5 meters away and shoots it with one of the new Eley carts. Shoots the rat and  'BANG!',it flies off the table and lands 4 feet away. Normally when I shoot rats with the Fourlong the rats are peppered with shot, this one has a wad sized hole in one side with all its guts and intestines hanging out big time on the other side. It was also waaaay louder, seemed as loud as the number 5 shot Lylvals I also have, my ears were ringing like mad. When I went in my Mrs even commented on how loud it was. So I cut open one of the old carts, one of the new ones and a Lylvale 14gram 65mm number 5 shot. The old Eley Fourlong had 12.9 grams of shot and 0.3 grams of powder. The new Eley Fourlong had 12.6 grams of shot and 0.6 grams of powder. The Lylvale had 12.6 grams of shot and 0.7 grams of powder. So the reason they got more wack and are way louder is they got twice as much powder in them as before, nearer the Lylvale than the old Eley. Anyone else bought these lately and noticed a difference?. Just add that I weighed them out on a set of very accurate digital scales.

I doubt it twice as much of the same powder, it would have to be different mate.

I definitely would prefer the stronger cartridge so look, if it helps I can get rid of them for you. No seriously, I don't mind. Send me a PM and I will arrange a courier to collect them not a problem ?.

Joking aside. Eley are not the company they use to be. If they have screwed up and double dosed the charge they need to know! Or, it could be someone else is doing their 410 ammo now!

5 hours ago, Pirate 9000 said:

Just out of interest have you thought of trying 2 inch for this type of shooting very quiet and more than enough for small vermin.

18 hours ago, Sausagedog said:

I doubt it twice as much of the same powder, it would have to be different mate.

I definitely would prefer the stronger cartridge so look, if it helps I can get rid of them for you. No seriously, I don't mind. Send me a PM and I will arrange a courier to collect them not a problem ?.

Joking aside. Eley are not the company they use to be. If they have screwed up and double dosed the charge they need to know! Or, it could be someone else is doing their 410 ammo now!

Just been out shooting at some targets in the field and they are definitely more powerful and louder then the old ones. I'll still use them, as long as I know they are louder I can stick some ear plugs in. When I weighed the powder the older ones had a round shape to it where the new was a more square shape. Gonna' look for some 2'' some where as well.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Pirate 9000 said:

Just out of interest have you thought of trying 2 inch for this type of shooting very quiet and more than enough for small vermin.

Picking up 10 boxes of Eley 2'' number 6 from Exeter. £6.10 a box.....near enough ?

Those fourlongs used to be really quiet. I used them in my modded fourten. They were the quietest I’ve tried, and I’ve tried a lot. Not surprisingly, when I put a few over the chrono, they were only doing 750fps. The eley two inch “fourten” cartridges were both faster and louder, but my results didn’t match eley’s advertised velocities on their website. May have been my bad testing? But I don’t think so.....I really don’t ?

1 hour ago, goldfinger said:

2" carts have a very limited range imo, ideal humane despatch round.

Yep, the eley two inch throw at sh1t pattern at anything more than a few yards. Why they only do them in #6 shot I don’t know. They’d be a good ratting cart in #9, but 9 grams of #6 wtf is that about? ?

2 hours ago, Dervburner said:

Yep, the eley two inch throw at sh1t pattern at anything more than a few yards. Why they only do them in #6 shot I don’t know. They’d be a good ratting cart in #9, but 9 grams of #6 wtf is that about? ?

They're only for rats just out side the house. Mrs chucks shit loads of stuff out for the birds and I can get close to the table no probs. I got tinnitus and I just want some thing I can shoot without putting on ear muffs. See rat, grab gun and go!!!.