9 hours ago, bigmac 97kt said:

And our Phil is going to tackle the stock by him self

after a tx chat last night

mind i dont know who is going to keep him right when he starts it :whistling:

atvbjimmy:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Oh I am sure I can find someone Jimmy ?

Phil

I'm definitely not a fan of these 57s Phil :no:

........... They're a nice rifle to shoulder and, the weight and balance is spot on  - unfortunately, for me, that's where it ends.

But, I hope you get yours to where you want it mate :yes: :thumbs:

• Thanks 1

Now then Jon, it seems ages since you were on mate, good to hear from you.

There is something about the 57 that I really like, I do know they have their issues and the pop up loader is not popular with a number of people. My pal was trying to load pellets in it with most being on the ground but after a few hundred shots through it, I am starting to get quite comfortable with it but can see it needs to be handled just so .

I have got all three 57s that had been returned to the shop so I can try all of them to see if there is a difference between them and keep the best.

I hope it all works out because I really do like them and after using one that had been tuned, it was superb.  Fingers crossed

Phil

• Thanks 1
23 hours ago, Furrosious ferreter said:

I chrony'd mine by putting the combro on upside down on the barrel.

cracking little rifles just always close the pop up.

They do have 2 breech seals dont forget and they did suffer with some issues worth a search too

20190902_160041.jpg.9d2fc3ceb1132add8b6beb74622122a9.jpg

FF

What is the scope you have on the rifle FF, it looks like a Leapers Bug Buster, if so what do you think of them.

Oh yes while I think about it, my Combro will not fit at all in any direction so the new FX radar chrono might be coming my way sooner rather than later, I have never liked the Combro anyway so no love lost there.

Phil

Cheers Phil :thumbs:

......... it's been a busy time with changing jobs etc but, I'm always looking in regularly even if i haven't had much to say lately :)

I'm the same - there is something likeable about those little rifles.

I'm looking forward to seeing your stock work on this one mate :yes:

Honestly, I've still got my fingers firmly crossed that you going to post a picture of some one hole groupings from it - I've got every faith in you.

............ I reckon getting the Scarborough tuner involved would be a good move ;)

26 minutes ago, Jonjon79 said:

Cheers Phil :thumbs:

......... it's been a busy time with changing jobs etc but, I'm always looking in regularly even if i haven't had much to say lately :)

I'm the same - there is something likeable about those little rifles.

I'm looking forward to seeing your stock work on this one mate :yes:

Honestly, I've still got my fingers firmly crossed that you going to post a picture of some one hole groupings from it - I've got every faith in you.

............ I reckon getting the Scarborough tuner involved would be a good move ;)

I think you may well be right there Jon. ?   

The stock will be done during the winter because this coronavirus is going to be around for a while and this little rifle is my entertainment in the garden as plinking in the garden with my Impact is no fun, way tooooo accurate whereas this little bugger is a challenge to an old tart like me who is not springer man at all so I hope this all comes together.

Phil

HW57 LATEST UPDATE...............................

As I said yesterday, I had collected two more 57s to test but first off I bought a .177 cleaning rod set and a hawke 3-9x40 AO scope which is a touch lighter than the Mamba Lite but an inch shorter which is a major advantage with the 57 pellet loader unless you have ladies fingers, hmmm this could get tricky..................

The tests :-

Each rifle was used with both hawke then Mamba scopes with them all being fed JSB Exact 4.52 pellets. I had serious doubts about the Mamba scope but it turned out that the scope was in fact perfectly okay because the result with the new Hawke and Mamba Lite were the the same.

Two of the rifles produced half inch groups, one was very snappy with a nasty twang but the other was by far better to shoot.  My original 57 is without doubt a load of crap with shots going all over an A4 sheet of paper with a few pellets actually going where I aimed, yahoooooo

Decision made, I removed the stock from my original rifle and swapped it with the best performing rifle's stock so that now I have the stock I want on the rifle that produced the best groups.  I have written a brief report on the guns going back to the RFD so he can throw them back at Hull Cartridge to sort out.

The Hawke scope is just a £65 jobbie well £55 after a bit of a push and the reticle is not as fine as I really like but the image is clear and as it is a garden gun, it will do nicely.

My pal also bought a garden plinker today while we were at the RFD, a Gamo Phox,  not my cup of tea but I have to say, good value for money complete outfit and when I had a couple of mags through it, I have to say it is a nice gun to use, not a high flyer by any means but good for it's intended purpose and without doubt some magpies will pay the price in my pal's garden. we shot both Exacts and Heavies and boy do those heavies hit very hard indeed with tiny groups, only 15mt in my garden but pleasing anyway and after all it is going to be a garden gun.

So, at last it looks like I now have a springer that I can work with and in longer term after a tune and stock job, I will be a happy bunny.  Talking of a stock job, our Jimmy has been talking me through how he would tackle it but that is later in the year however my shooting pal said he has a few air rifle stocks in the loft so will have something to practice on over the coming weeks, good stuff.

Phil

• Like 4

Nice write up Phil,

Good luck with the 57 buddy, only ever picked one up and shouldered it, never shot one, if I remember correctly the loading pop up port was`nt my cup of tea either but saying that its a HW, and normally that means quality.

Interesting post Phil, please let us all see how you get on with her both shooting and stock work etc. :good:

atb,  Mark.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, philpot said:

HW57 LATEST UPDATE...............................

As I said yesterday, I had collected two more 57s to test but first off I bought a .177 cleaning rod set and a hawke 3-9x40 AO scope which is a touch lighter than the Mamba Lite but an inch shorter which is a major advantage with the 57 pellet loader unless you have ladies fingers, hmmm this could get tricky..................

The tests :-

Each rifle was used with both hawke then Mamba scopes with them all being fed JSB Exact 4.52 pellets. I had serious doubts about the Mamba scope but it turned out that the scope was in fact perfectly okay because the result with the new Hawke and Mamba Lite were the the same.

Two of the rifles produced half inch groups, one was very snappy with a nasty twang but the other was by far better to shoot.  My original 57 is without doubt a load of crap with shots going all over an A4 sheet of paper with a few pellets actually going where I aimed, yahoooooo

Decision made, I removed the stock from my original rifle and swapped it with the best performing rifle's stock so that now I have the stock I want on the rifle that produced the best groups.  I have written a brief report on the guns going back to the RFD so he can throw them back at Hull Cartridge to sort out.

The Hawke scope is just a £65 jobbie well £55 after a bit of a push and the reticle is not as fine as I really like but the image is clear and as it is a garden gun, it will do nicely.

My pal also bought a garden plinker today while we were at the RFD, a Gamo Phox,  not my cup of tea but I have to say, good value for money complete outfit and when I had a couple of mags through it, I have to say it is a nice gun to use, not a high flyer by any means but good for it's intended purpose and without doubt some magpies will pay the price in my pal's garden. we shot both Exacts and Heavies and boy do those heavies hit very hard indeed with tiny groups, only 15mt in my garden but pleasing anyway and after all it is going to be a garden gun.

So, at last it looks like I now have a springer that I can work with and in longer term after a tune and stock job, I will be a happy bunny.  Talking of a stock job, our Jimmy has been talking me through how he would tackle it but that is later in the year however my shooting pal said he has a few air rifle stocks in the loft so will have something to practice on over the coming weeks, good stuff.

Phil

Nice one Phil, it’s good to know you got a good one in the end because they’re a nice little rifle imo. Maybe the first one had alignment problems with the loading port, possibly causing the pellets to shave slightly? That might explain the poor accuracy? Good to have a bit of a project as well, especially during this lockdown period. Keep safe fella?

• Like 1