32 minutes ago, BenBhoy said:

Also I reckon quieter roads mean less roadkill to scavenge 

You could be right there, with young to feed the roads were always worth a look for an easy meal, now they will be working a bit harder for a feed

• Like 1

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

During this time when it is impossible for some to get out and shoot , I thought I would share my shooting with you all so that you may experience although vicariously an evening of fox control on a p

I had a text message from the chicken farm “chickens killed in run “ yesterday. I got over to the unit at about 7.30pm . I set myself up on a flatbed trailer by the hen house , near to the kill sight 

Saw the tractors going past yesterday signalling the first cut on the silage . They fetched it all in today so I thought I’d better go and have a look . Only about three fields on the shoot with silag

Posted Images

Well Thursday morning I got a text from the chicken farm telling me there were feathers in the field . So I left the house at 8.0pm carrying rifle and all my gear to be greeted by a round of applause from all my neighbours. It was quite humbling to know that they appreciate all my efforts in reducing the fox population, but like I say “it’s just what I do “. 
                 I turned up at the farm and headed for the pile of blocks . I had contacted his neighbour who cut his silage a couple of days ago to ask if I could shoot his field from the farm and he was ok with it so I set up a caller first to give me an option later on . The field I was looking over yielded nothing , so I headed back to the unit . There in the field in front of the hen house was Charlie , I got the sticks out and had a shot at about 100 meters , missed. That’s the first time for a while so I kept tracking the fox with the thermal and I watched as he exited the field and went to a small paddock with cattle in . I jumped in the truck and pulled up to see if I could see him in the paddock but he was heading straight to the neighbours cut field . I kept tracking it and jumped out of the truck to take a shot off an ancient flatbed trailer . There it was running across the field . I squeaked and it stopped perfectly presenting itself for a shot , I didn’t miss this time and it dropped at about 100 meters . I scanned with the thermal and noticed another fox in the field . I already had the icotec out so tried the field mouse and in it came . Straight at me at not a big distance so a head shot stopped it in its tracks . Nothing wrong with the sights so the miss was my error. Two less chicken munchers . Hey “ it’s what I do “.?

6CBD7204-0162-4919-A827-05A0E8F371E1.jpeg

3176BE86-C0C9-4C2A-91BC-895959B03B0D.jpeg

75FC1FA8-EEB2-4CA2-A5E3-F7671BA29BF6.jpeg

Edited by shovel leaner
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, shovel leaner said:

Well Thursday morning I got a text from the chicken farm telling me there were feathers in the field . So I left the house at 8.0pm carrying rifle and all my gear to be greeted by a round of applause from all my neighbours. It was quite humbling to know that they appreciate all my efforts in reducing the fox population, but like I say “it’s just what I do “. 
                 I turned up at the farm and headed for the pile of blocks . I had contacted his neighbour who cut his silage a couple of days ago to ask if I could shoot his field from the farm and he was ok with it so I set up a caller first to give me an option later on . The field I was looking over yielded nothing , so I headed back to the unit . There in the field in front of the hen house was Charlie , I got the sticks out and had a shot at about 100 meters , missed. That’s the first time for a while so I kept tracking the fox with the thermal and I watched as he exited the field and went to a small paddock with cattle in . I jumped in the truck and pulled up to see if I could see him in the paddock but he was heading straight to the neighbours cut field . I kept tracking it and jumped out of the truck to take a shot off an ancient flatbed trailer . There it was running across the field . I squeaked and it stopped perfectly presenting itself for a shot , I didn’t miss this time and it dropped at about 100 meters . I scanned with the thermal and noticed another fox in the field . I already had the icotec out so tried the field mouse and in it came . Straight at me at not a big distance so a head shot stopped it in its tracks . Nothing wrong with the sights so the miss was my error. Two less chicken munchers . Hey “ it’s what I do “.?

Are you sure they were clapping for you....I thought Thursday at 8pm was clap for the NHS time!

Any way, well done. I have a long vigil tonight. I'm sat amongst the chucks now and then I will lamp the unit later then off to the lambs. It'll be gone midnight before I get in!

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Sausagedog said:

Are you sure they were clapping for you....I thought Thursday at 8pm was clap for the NHS time!

Any way, well done. I have a long vigil tonight. I'm sat amongst the chucks now and then I will lamp the unit later then off to the lambs. It'll be gone midnight before I get in!

Well you’ve just pissed all over my bonfire!!!

• Haha 3

Result S/L getting the clap on a Thursday for most thats a saturday night hazard :whistling:Well done on the  foxes and heh anyone who says he,s never missed is a reporter for the sun .Good luck Sausage you know theyre out there moving in on Slinky,s patch

• Haha 2