Goldies + bullfinches

Hi this is my first season breeding. I got a trio of goldfinches and a pair of bullfinches in an outdoor avary with a chrismas tree in and a couple of pans in each corner. Just woundering if anyone could give me some advice or tip to become successfull this season. Any advive will be most appericated

Thanks 

If there all in the same flight/aviary then be careful with the bully cock and your goldie cock,bully cocks can be total cocks and with the beak of a bully there is only one winner,if there's plenty of space for breeding without them all being on top of each other and you sort of can't put out to many pans(there'll only use the ones they want to use anyway) either..Plenty of cover and immatation xmas tree is brilliant stuff to use as it's easy clean and cut it up and jam it in where you want/need it.Sort of maybe look back through the older posts of mine and i used to use it loads,good luck and sort of leave them to get on with it as they know what there doing and if anything get the wild food in there as much as you can...

ps... we do love a few pics here  :victory:...

Is there no way you can partition the aviary down the middle.....in my very limited experience the native birds wont breed unless totally comfortable in their environment i cant see them breeding while constantly on the lookout....i had a couple of canaries breed in a mixed aviary once but not Goldies......but just do whatever Fireman tells you mate he knows his stuff ?...........and yes more pictures the merrier.

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, gnasher16 said:

Is there no way you can partition the aviary down the middle.....in my very limited experience the native birds wont breed unless totally comfortable in their environment i cant see them breeding while constantly on the lookout....i had a couple of canaries breed in a mixed aviary once but not Goldies......but just do whatever Fireman tells you mate he knows his stuff ?...........and yes more pictures the merrier.

Been tempted a few times to get back into myself, this last few years. Had zebras finches, bengalese, a few canaries and waxbills years ago. All fairly good, easy breeders. But reading of the problems that 'can' arise with native finches, unless you get everything spot on, sort of puts me off.

Anyway, yeah, more pics lol. Some of you lads on here have cracking setups ?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, shaaark said:

Been tempted a few times to get back into myself, this last few years. Had zebras finches, bengalese, a few canaries and waxbills years ago. All fairly good, easy breeders. But reading of the problems that 'can' arise with native finches, unless you get everything spot on, sort of puts me off.

Anyway, yeah, more pics lol. Some of you lads on here have cracking setups ?

Natives are sort of easy enough once you got there surroundings right for them,there'll breed in a breeding cage and that's as unnatural as it comes i'd say.Like i just said some sorts don't in general get on mixed but iv'e had goldies,greenies,redpoles and chaffies all in the same aviary and not once did i see any fighting whats so ever,just give them enough space,plenty of feed/ water stations and nesting places so they don't have to fight over anything and there'll breed..

Your'd breed natives just fine shaaark with the knowledge you got from keeping them other types no probs mate and give it a go bud for sure....

• Like 1
1 hour ago, fireman said:

Natives are sort of easy enough once you got there surroundings right for them,there'll breed in a breeding cage and that's as unnatural as it comes i'd say.Like i just said some sorts don't in general get on mixed but iv'e had goldies,greenies,redpoles and chaffies all in the same aviary and not once did i see any fighting whats so ever,just give them enough space,plenty of feed/ water stations and nesting places so they don't have to fight over anything and there'll breed..

Your'd breed natives just fine shaaark with the knowledge you got from keeping them other types no probs mate and give it a go bud for sure....

Ah right, definitely food for thought there mate, cheers ?

• Thanks 1

Divide it like on this pic here pal. And make sure that there vision to the birds seeing the birds in the next run isn't so much clear special if it's the same breed. As you don't want the cocks fighting through the mesh and have them missing limbs lol. 

20200307_152355.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Alright Nate have you got them all in together?? With any natives I've never bothered with pans they make their own nests. Get plenty of broom put up for them to nest in n plenty of hair. I used to always go up horse fuel grab clumps if it off barbed wire fence. N my bullys used to prefer long stands off grass roots.

1 hour ago, firthy said:

Alright Nate have you got them all in together?? With any natives I've never bothered with pans they make their own nests. Get plenty of broom put up for them to nest in n plenty of hair. I used to always go up horse fuel grab clumps if it off barbed wire fence. N my bullys used to prefer long stands off grass roots.

Loads of wild birds use horse hair but i never would as iv'e had chicks loose toes with long lengths of seazle (think that's what it's called,white stuff like horse hair) so i used to just use coconut husks,dog hair,moss,and cotton wool as the goldies and redpols love cotton wool..